What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

System locks up at desktop. Please help for the family PC! UPDATED with pictures

ZZLEE

How old is this Antec HCP-620M ?

Edit: Unplug GPU cables and plug back in in different spot.

Last edited:

ExpendableG4M3R

The PSU is about 2 yrs old now going onto 3 im sure in a few months. The system it was in before had a AMD 965BE stock, Gigabyte 970UD3, MSI 460HAWK and the same AMD EE DDR3 ram thats in this pc now.

ZZLEE

Get a can caned air and blow out the inside of the power supply.

Make sure the power supply ca breath properly is the computer on top off the desk is the power supply getting clean fresh air.

check that the fan comes on and spins properly.

KaptCrunch

I got some pictures today what the system is doing.

First picture - The pc was sitting idle with CPUZ, GPUZ and Speedfan, hwmonitor and IE open. 3-4 minutes later the PC locked up sitting IDLE and lost all colors. I was sitting at the default windows desktop screen. IE is the big black box..top right was cpuz below that was gpuz and behind IE was speedfan and hwmonitor. Everything just went black and froze.

Second picture - This is what happened when the program CPUZ started to artifact last night. When I moved the program around the desktop BAM! This happened. I had to hard reset the pc to fix the problem

The black screen stuff happens id say at least 50% of the time on every boot up. I think the GPU is shot.

Now usually the screen just does blank and the monitor loses connection to the video card and starts to cycle the inputs looking for a signal the pc stays on but locks up. The only way to fix this is to flip the PSU switch off then on and power the PC back up.
I am using an Antec HCP-620M PSU. Ive used a psu calcutor putting in all my specs and it says at 90% load I would only pull 419w. I know my PSU and RAM are fine because they are from my last build and I never had problem with them. MEMTEST came back negative for errors after 3 passes (5hr run)

I am just using the first PCI-e slot on the motherboard.

RMA the video card if can or get a working one for the gpu is failing

other check card slot for miss placed pins

enaberif

I got some pictures today what the system is doing.

First picture - The pc was sitting idle with CPUZ, GPUZ and Speedfan, hwmonitor and IE open. 3-4 minutes later the PC locked up sitting IDLE and lost all colors. I was sitting at the default windows desktop screen. IE is the big black box..top right was cpuz below that was gpuz and behind IE was speedfan and hwmonitor. Everything just went black and froze.

Second picture - This is what happened when the program CPUZ started to artifact last night. When I moved the program around the desktop BAM! This happened. I had to hard reset the pc to fix the problem

The black screen stuff happens id say at least 50% of the time on every boot up. I think the GPU is shot.

Now usually the screen just does blank and the monitor loses connection to the video card and starts to cycle the inputs looking for a signal the pc stays on but locks up. The only way to fix this is to flip the PSU switch off then on and power the PC back up.
I am using an Antec HCP-620M PSU. Ive used a psu calcutor putting in all my specs and it says at 90% load I would only pull 419w. I know my PSU and RAM are fine because they are from my last build and I never had problem with them. MEMTEST came back negative for errors after 3 passes (5hr run)

I am just using the first PCI-e slot on the motherboard.
That is definitely signs of some failing component. Either PSU, GPU or even possibly the motherboard.

GPU is the easiest to test then PSU and motherboard.

ExpendableG4M3R

Im going to try another amd card then and see what happens.

Im going to also do a new clean install of windows as well and try the driver install again

EDIT/UPDATE!
So I did a wipe and install of Win7 SP1 this time no drivers of any kind for anything, its all just basic windows drivers. Installed the same monitoring programs and did a ton of reboots and program launching trying to get the pc to lock up..... Not one lock up all day. Im currently running Prime95 on its 3rd hour and no errors or fails.

So what does that mean??? Tomorrow im going to install drivers for the AMD chipset, video card, onboard sound and the onboard network. If it starts to lock up and lose video signals then does that mean its just drivers or the gpu or mobo needs replacing?

Last edited:

dARqSyDE

It is(was) likely a bad driver install. I had similar problems until I did a wipe/reinstall of the drivers. It could also be an unstable GPU overclock.

ExpendableG4M3R

Well I thought it was fixed but sadly today the system locked up again doing the same things. This is without any drivers. Guess its time to try a different video card and see what happens.

Oh the joys of new building a new pc.

Latest posts

Twitter