What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

System mislabels CPU

Mr. Cipher

Shutoff & No POST

Old Problem
I installed a new Q8400 in my current rig running winXP pro. I noticed that on the first boot menu all it says, along with the other POST messages, is

Processor: 2.66ghz (333x8).

However, CPU-Z recognized the CPU properly and I had a mb bios that I thought would recognize it too (revision F11).

I read over GA's CPU compatibility list and it said I needed the F13 bios. I installed it and it recognized the CPU perfectly. You live, you learn, right? I know to check for next time :biggrin:.

New Problem
After ~1hr with the new bios my computer shut off and it won't even POST now. I was in the middle of a good fight in FO3 too...

The computer makes a single, wheezing, beep when I turn it off or restart. Unfortunately the manual doesn't have a description for 1 single long wheezing beep.

My first step was to throw a cap onto the clr_cmos jumper to short it, but with no effect.

I want to say that with my e2180, when I shutoff the computer the mb would often make that same single, wheezing, beep. I just thought it was related to my attempt at pushing the cpu to 3.8ghz and the cpu being close to fried. It was also the very same beep the comp made when I tried an oc that did not work and the comp restarted at the old values. Maybe it was the mb the whole time.

If anyone else has run into a similar experience and can offer suggestions on what I should test or watch out for, I'm all ears. If I can determine that the Q8400 is ok, I think I'll just buy a new mb - 2 years without a sb heatsink may have caused this too.

Also, I'm running a HX620, which was fine with my old CPU. I can't imagine the power output is now inefficient after working for 2 years?

Update

• Reset CMOS, nothing happened until I swapped in the e2180. Then swapped back the Q8400 and it wouldn't POST. Swapped e2180 and it wouldn't POST. Reset again and here I am.
  • Still have to find a PSU to test with in the next 6 days or I can't return the Q8400 as a doa item.
Could updating my 8800gtx drivers have anything to do with this?

Last edited:

Mr. Cipher

Fixed.

Even though bios F7 introduced support for the yorkfield CPUs, and F11 would theoretically have support for them, an upgrade from bios F11 to F13 was all I needed to recognize the Q8400.

Admin please delete thread if you want. Sorry.

Eagle Eye

I'll add something to this...my Q9550 overclocked to 3.8GHz is reported clocked at 4.04GHz in the system properites, but CPU-Z has it right so I don't worry.

EE

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Wheezing beep?

I'll agree with you, it may be the motherboard. But I would swap to a known good power supply before singling out the mobo.

Mr. Cipher

If I could I'd record it. It's not the sharp, crisp single beep you hear during a POST. In fact my mb never made that single beep.

The beep fades out as the power turns off. It's as if the comp is gasping for a final breath before dying. I'd laugh at the irony if I wasn't so annoyed.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
If I could I'd record it. It's not the sharp, crisp single beep you hear during a POST. In fact my mb never made that single beep.

The beep fades out as the power turns off. It's as if the comp is gasping for a final breath before dying. I'd laugh at the irony if I wasn't so annoyed.

BEEEE--eeeeeeeuuuuuuuu...P. :haha:

Yeah, this is either a bad mobo or psu. PSU swap is easier to diagnose both, because either the mobo will work, isolating the PSU, or the mobo wont, isolating itself.

Mr. Cipher

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I bought a EP45-UD3P and the MB instantly recognized the CPU. Now it's time to figure out why my comp crashed 20 minutes into FO3 or GTAIV (memory, GPU, something else, etc).

I'm moving all my commentary into my build worklog here .