What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

system suggestions

Jim

Need your input on a system build , it'll be used for general computing ,no gaming , no video/audio editing but would like vista to run fast as in quick browser & page opening.The parts needed to assemble it are mobo ,ram, processor , video card & psu. Should the mobo/cpu be a good overclocker for this purpose ? Intel over AMD ? Guess I'd like to not be limited when it comes to upgrades.
thanks

sorry if wrong form category,didn't know where it should go, move it if needed

Last edited:

Babrbarossa

Some people might disagree, but i think your best bet for this kind of system is a refurbished clearance system at one of the big box stores-- you can get a decent system with a monitor at that price if you look hard. That is the only kind of system that I'd buy from them though- anything over 800 and I'd build my own.

Babrbarossa

If you have a monitor- this is an overclockable system...

e4300 140
7600GT 130
Gigabyte DS3 140
Antec Sonata 110
Seagate 320GB HD 100
DVD burner 40
You could probably overclock this system to 2.8GHz or so on the stock cooling without much heat.

THis system is 660 plus tax and deliver- Direct Canada would be cheapest, but a new NCIX sale is starting tonight, so you might want to check it out.

enaberif

e4300 140
7600GT 130
Gigabyte DS3 140
Antec Sonata 110
Seagate 320GB HD 100
DVD burner 40
You could probably overclock this system to 2.8GHz or so on the stock cooling without much heat.

THis system is 660 plus tax and deliver- Direct Canada would be cheapest, but a new NCIX sale is starting tonight, so you might want to check it out.
Add another $150 for memory. Since he isn't doing anything special with video he could go with a 7300 or 6600 and save himself another $50 or so. Could get a coolermaster case and a fortran sparkle for less than $110 and save yourself probably $20 on that.

So in lesser parts it would cover the cost of memory and still roughly be the same.

Jim

e4300 140
7600GT 130
Gigabyte DS3 140
Antec Sonata 110
Seagate 320GB HD 100
DVD burner 40

should have said , I've got the drives & case already , so just need the other stuff. just want the comp perform like one does when you use a linux distro on it , smooth & fast browsing ..etc

Babrbarossa

well the best bang for the buck and a decent overclock would be the e4300 and the Gigabyte DS3- if you can afford it, you might want to grab a Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 for about 23-25 bucks.

Twitter