What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner.

botat29

Whoever likes Windows 8 is a giant tart and needs to have their heads examined by multiple therapists and other psycho-analysis techniques for suicidal or tendencies to self-inflict pain.
lol can I paste and copy this to the Eightforum,,,,,,, you have some fanboish Windows 8 there

Do you have a link on MS for that? I'm doing a search and so far have come up empty for MS branded start button replacements.
you are loosing you time to search for it, MS will never give back the start.....

sswilson

Staff member
lol can I paste and copy this to the Eightforum,,,,,,, you have some fanboish Windows 8 there

you are loosing you time to search for it, MS will never give back the start.....
I'm quite sceptical and suspect it's a third party solution disguising itself as a MS product which leads to the question of how many security issues are going to crop up from folks running stuff like that without knowing for sure where it comes from.

It's a perfect storm for hackers.... New OS with an interface that's not well known yet + a completely missing core component which 50%+ of desktop users are going to be looking to replace.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I'm quite sceptical and suspect it's a third party solution disguising itself as a MS product which leads to the question of how many security issues are going to crop up from folks running stuff like that without knowing for sure where it comes from.

It's a perfect storm for hackers.... New OS with an interface that's not well known yet + a completely missing core component which 50%+ of desktop users are going to be looking to replace.

Agreed on that front.

Or perhaps, some retailers will throw it in as a part of their 'PC tune-up' package that for the low low price of $99 (or $139 for 2 year support), and also install McAfee for you.

@Chris(without the all-important "K" ;p ): Do you have a link to the MS-supported Start menu/button? I have subscribed to this thread now because this is a huge relief in my books and it might help sway some people on win8

chrisk

Folding Captain
OK third party app then. Good to have a free option for sure, but I would rather stick with Stardock or similar as I want to give the company heck if there is a stability or security issue. A MS solution would have been optimal to ensure that a Windows Update or whatever would not break functionality.

Desiato

I think all the Metro angst is overblown. It's an easy issue to resolve. It doesn't even require gumption. I understand dissatisfaction, but the rage and hate? Eeesh.

Besides, Windows 7 remains more than viable for the traditional desktop experience and will likely remain so for years.

Last edited:

botat29

Twitter