What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner.

dustin1706

I wonder if MS will ever give in and include a start menu in the "desktop" and an option to go directly to either metro or desktop on start up.... Seems like it would be a simple solution that would boost sales while still keeping the OS consistent across platforms. If they did include such a thing in a near future service pack I'd probably buy a few copies of Win8.

enaberif

I wonder if MS will ever give in and include a start menu in the "desktop" and an option to go directly to either metro or desktop on start up.... Seems like it would be a simple solution that would boost sales while still keeping the OS consistent across platforms. If they did include such a thing in a near future service pack I'd probably buy a few copies of Win8.
Highly doubt it. We never got back classic windows look for Vista/7 :p

enaberif

Fair point. But from my recollection the outcry for Classic wasn't near what it is for start menu.
Oh yes it was. When the new "UI" came in for Vista everyone cried "I want my Win2k" look for MONTHS and MONTHS.

I still want it.. but I don't plan to run an older OS or a skin to make it look so.

sswilson

Staff member
We'll see how I make out. It looks like win8 is installed on my tablet with all my hardware working properly (the g meter was a bit of a pain, but it's working now). Doesn't really seem much faster than it was before, but I will admit that the start screen paired with out-of-the-box touchscreen compatibility does make basic functions easy to carry out without going to the desktop.

There's also a few suggestions that windows RT might run on this tablet. I may have to give it a try to see if it's any faster as the C50 proc paired up with 2G mem and a pretty pokey 32G mSata drive is less than optimal for a full fledged windows OS.

Mars

It's fairly trivial to boot straight to the desktop, just add a "go to desktop" task to the task scheduler to happen on logon.

Or if you put the desktop tile in the top left of the start screen hitting enter returns you to the desktop.

There's also a few suggestions that windows RT might run on this tablet. I may have to give it a try to see if it's any faster as the C50 proc paired up with 2G mem and a pretty pokey 32G mSata drive is less than optimal for a full fledged windows OS.
I can't see how RT would work, RT is specifically for ARM.

I'm doubtful it would help much in performance anyway, RT still has the desktop, you just can't run any x86 software on it, but all of MS's desktop stuff is compiled for ARM.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah I saw something on this a few days ago, but it's awfully heavy on wishful thinking. I'd be surprised if the Microsoft juggernaut could be forced to reverse direction this quickly WRT Metro and the start button but who knows I've been proven wrong before.

Latest posts

Twitter