What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I think I'll invest in Start8 once Windows 8 drivers mature a little. My laptop got faster on Win8. Worthy investment, especially for those of us with technet.

You could look at it this way; Win 8 for the discounted prices, plus Start 8 brings it up to the same price as a normal Windows upgrade.

If you are happy with Windows 7, its new enough to stick with in my books. I'll be popping Start 8 or similar on Win8 in due time, if MS does not take their haeds out of their butts by then.

sswilson

Staff member
your biggest beef?

if you're not complaining about metro, what is there to complain about?
The lack of an email program? Asking me to register with a live account in order to install the OS? (I'm pretty sure there's a workaround, but it's the default).

That said, if I could turn off metro completely, and I could verify that drivers were available for my hardware, I'd be running windows8. Without the ability to turn metro off, I'll buy a mac before I allow a non-touchscreen win8 device in my home, and that's saying a lot since I swore off all apple products when they dropped the apple II line and have held to that since the early 90's.

edit: I will not be buying a third party app to make win8 work the way microsoft already knows we want.

Mars

I'm not sure why you need to "turn off" metro. Using Win8 on a desktop is essentially the same user experience as Win7 on the desktop, with a fullscreen start menu, everything else Metro is completely ignorable, and the start screen is largely a break-even proposition compared to the start menu.

Win7 drivers work in Win8, with very few exceptions.

enaberif

I'm not sure why you need to "turn off" metro. Using Win8 on a desktop is essentially the same user experience as Win7 on the desktop, with a fullscreen start menu, everything else Metro is completely ignorable, and the start screen is largely a break-even proposition compared to the start menu.

Win8 Metro on a multiple screen setup is FAR to much mouse work to start. Metro is just garbage.. I don't know why soooooo many people are defending it.

sswilson

Staff member

Sorry, if I wanted a full screen start menu I'd have 40 or 50 icons on my current desktop. That's not what I want/need, I want/need a standard start menu.

The drivers I'm concerned about are the g-meter ones on my tablet which apparently were an issue with the preview so I don't have much faith in them actually working on this release.

enaberif