What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner.

enaberif

I cant even justify a start menu app. I just remove all of the stuff I dont like and populate the start page with programs I use. All other can be accessed using the start page + right click + all apps. Beyond that search.

Win shortcuts as well.

Windows key - Start Menu
Win + c - Sidebar
Win + w - Search "settings"
Win + f - Search "files"
Win + q - Search "apps/programs"
Win + x - Admin tools

Keyboard shortcuts will never replace a "Start" Menu.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Windows versions are like Star Trek movies... you skip every other one.

Examples:
Star trek : the motion picture - skip
Wrath of Khan - awesome
Search for spock - skip
Voyage home - good
final frontier - crap
undiscovered country - awesome.

More examples:
Windows 98 - crap
Windows 98 SE - actually decent
Windows ME - crap
Windows 2000 - awesome
Windows XP - The exception! Not crap!
Windows Vista -..... horrible
Windows 7 - Suberb!

.... understand? Its a skip and wait till windows 9 for me.

EDIT:
If you separate XP down into its service packs the rule still holds true:
XP - unstable crap
XP SP1 - Much better
XP SP2 - Constant installation issues, crashes
XP SP3 - vast improvement. faster.

ZZLEE

^ I cuncur with previos post

WIN7 64 Rocks

Why Upgrade I see no reason...

crazyea

NCIX FORUMS - Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winn...

Why did you post the same thread on two forums? LOL!!!

I must agree though. When a family member showed me Windows 8 I tried it for a month to try to get used to it. I hated it.....until he showed me StartX. Now it is somewhat usable.

Seriously what is Microsoft thinking.....or were they NOT thinking?

Hey! You're quite the detective.

I am a member at both, and I value the opinions of both and several members frequent both. I do find the people here to be a bit more laidback than the agressive types at NCIX. I generally like the contrast of answers between the sites.

sswilson

Staff member

Heh... nothing much different there than we've had with their last few OS launches.

What I'm waiting to see is if OEMs will be offering both win7 and win8 on new machines, or possibly even continuing to ship all of their desktops with win7 + free win8 upgrade even once win8 is officially launched.

IIRC, once Vista hit the street, XP was no longer available from the cookie cutter big box OEM machines, I'm not even sure if companies like Dell allowed you to select between XP or Vista when "building" an order online.

I'm going to put my tin foil hat on here and suggest that folks might want to read the fine print on these "upgrades" very carefully. I wouldn't put it past MS to lock the win7 COA key to win8 when/if an upgrade is applied, and not allow the user to revert back even if they attempt a fresh reload. (It'd essentially be the same as if the machine was originally purchased with win8 on it).

I have no facts to base this on, just feels to me like the kind of thing they might do in order to press forward with their attempt to get folks to adopt/adapt to the metro interface at all costs.

Last edited:

bgf

Upgrading to Win 8 has the same chance as the snowball in hell. There are to many things that I am forced to do M$'s way, not my way, and I have to pay for it therefore I am the boss M$ and so not a chance.

stoanee

Folding Team
Desktops are losing market share and Windows is desperate to increase revenue somehow + get on the tablet gravy train.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Desktops are losing market share and Windows is desperate to increase revenue somehow + get on the tablet gravy train.

The best way to do this in my opinion is to have the default PC desktop for Windows 8, with some kind of emulation mode that would allow PC users to download and run Apps purchased on Windows RT/8 tablets on the PC.

Make purchases on the MS Surface and other mobile devices available on the PC in 'tablet mode' similar to how apps purchased on your Android/iOS phone will work on your tablet.

Latest posts