What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner.

Mars

Win8 Metro on a multiple screen setup is FAR to much mouse work to start. Metro is just garbage.. I don't know why soooooo many people are defending it.

Probably because a lot of people realize it's not garbage. :p

That being said, the lack of ease of use of multi-monitor hot corners is the biggest issue with Windows 8 from my point of view, everything else I'm pretty much fine with.

Sorry, if I wanted a full screen start menu I'd have 40 or 50 icons on my current desktop. That's not what I want/need, I want/need a standard start menu.

Except you can't windows key + search for desktop shortcuts - IMO if you're using either the start menu or the start screen on a system with a keyboard by using any method other than hitting the windows key and typing, you're using it wrong.

Generic User #2

You have to install those yourself. They aren't allowed to be installed as its up to the user to decide.

you have got to be freaking kidding me.

you're complaining about installing programs? are you for real? you mean you're actually using IE on all of your new hardware builds?

Sorry, if I wanted a full screen start menu I'd have 40 or 50 icons on my current desktop. That's not what I want/need, I want/need a standard start menu.

what exactly are you doing in your start menu that having it fullscreen is a negative?

does that actually negatively affect your workflow or is this simply an aesthetic complaint?

from what I saw, there are free options to get the start menu back and to skip the metro screen on bootup (haven't used them myself, but unless they're lying, its basically back to win7 interface)

sswilson

Staff member
Probably because a lot of people realize it's not garbage. :p

That being said, the lack of ease of use of multi-monitor hot corners is the biggest issue with Windows 8 from my point of view, everything else I'm pretty much fine with.

Except you can't windows key + search for desktop shortcuts - IMO if you're using either the start menu or the start screen on a system with a keyboard by using any method other than hitting the windows key and typing, you're using it wrong.

And that's the kind of thinking that's turned a hell of a lot of folks off of win8. I don't use the search function for anything other than help, I use the start menu. I'm sorry, but I don't happen to know what the name of my motherboard temperature monitoring app is, I used it once 3 months ago and haven't needed it since. When I want to use it, I go into the start menu under the ASUS folder and there it is.

Generic User #2

why don't you just rename the program to something you can remember?

but honestly, you're using the start menu wrong.

In consumer preview (i believe), they implemented 'corner traps', where your cursor WOULD NOT move onto the second monitor if was within 3-5 pixels of the corner. So that you could fling your mouse into the corner and it would get 'caught' in the 'trap'.

is this gone in the RTM?

sswilson

Staff member

You're kidding right? I don't do that, because I don't need to. Everything is easily accessable under an alpabetically ordered directory tree in the start menu, logically separated into different types of tasks.

And again with the suggestion that I'm doing something wrong.... it works for me, it's worked for me for quite some time, and it will continue to work for me in one shape or another probably until I'm no longer using a desktop.

AkG

No. He is using just like most people use it...as a force multiplier to get shite done FAST. Why the frack would I want to remember the name of 200+ programs just so I could TYPE them in (what is this the DOS days all over again?), when I could hit a frickin icon + label with my mouse? Guess which one is faster. THIS is one of the reasons windows gained market dominance as it was FASTER and EASIER than DOS and Unix. Win 8's start menu is neither fast nor easy. Its a kludge. A kludge meant for fat fingers on toys 'n' tablets....not TOOLS. At the end of the day a desktop PC is a tool, not a toy. Having to install a 3rd party app to gain basic usage abilities is SHAMEFUL.

Mars

In consumer preview (i believe), they implemented 'corner traps', where your cursor WOULD NOT move onto the second monitor if was within 3-5 pixels of the corner. So that you could fling your mouse into the corner and it would get 'caught' in the 'trap'.

is this gone in the RTM?

They're still there, they're not good enough. The biggest problem is that there's vertical movement that you have to be careful about outside of the hot corners for the charms bar or task switcher.

No. He is using just like most people use it...as a force multiplier to get shite done FAST. Why the frack would I want to remember the name of 200+ programs just so I could TYPE them in (what is this the DOS days all over again?), when I could hit a frickin icon + label with my mouse? Guess which one is faster. THIS is one of the reasons windows gained market dominance as it was FASTER and EASIER than DOS and Unix. Win 8's start menu is neither fast nor easy. Its a kludge. A kludge meant for fat fingers on toys 'n' tablets....not TOOLS. At the end of the day a desktop PC is a tool, not a toy. Having to install a 3rd party app to gain basic usage abilities is SHAMEFUL.

If you're using your mouse with your start menu, I guarantee I can open any program on either my Windows 7 or Windows 8 computers faster than you.

If you're not using the search in the start menu, just add a toolbar to the taskbar and dump all your shortcuts into there, it will accomplish exactly the same thing as the start menu.

botat29

All those problems will have been avoid if Microsoft will have done it right; the metro crap optional and running in a window. Windows 8 without Metro is a good OS

Bloodystumps

:shok:AKG its not "SHAMEFUL" it is "PROFITABLE" ok ok you are right it is Shameful as well:shok::shok:

Latest posts