What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner.

sswilson

Staff member
Look at a certain way you could consider a unicycle progress over a bike. After all it requires less materials to build, takes up less space and is different looking...but that dont mean its necessarily is true progress.

Remembering the name of a program that you haven't used in a couple months, then removing your hand from the mouse to type it in, then putting your hand back on the mouse to select the RIGHT program out of a list of possibles it will find.....vs scroll and click. Yeah I'll take that bet. Taksbar is for the few programs you USE on a regular basis. The start menu is for all the rest that are needed but not used on a daily basis.

Honestly, *nix dweebs are a bunch of elitist asshats. A pc is a tool. The easier and more efficient the tool...the better it is. Everything else is dick beating. So thats no true argument you are making...and this is coming from someone whose been with computers since before Windows was the defacto std.

Win 8 has GOOD things about it....but it has been hobbled by a crap interface. Its 'change' for the sake of change. That is NOT progress. THe OS should be customizable and accommodate the needs of the user. The user should not need to change in order to accommodate the OS. Some people with like the full screen bollocks BS. Most will not. Its not that hard to give the option of having it do one or the other....MS are just being lazy.

If only that was the issue. M$ is not being lazy by not including the option to opt-out of the metro interface, it's a concious business decision on their part in an attempt to force adoption of their new "one OS to rule them all" philosophy. Pretty much in line with the old joke about misspelling a word in the "new" windows interface and the answer from management isn't to fix the mistake, but instead to use their market power to force adoption of the new spelling.

And no, I won't be using stardock for start menu fuctionality. Third party apps for basic functions of an OS tend to get broken during updates fairly regularily either by accident or by design. Just like I switched over to openoffice when they made the MS Office interface less intuitive, I'll either be running win7 forever, or looking at linux + wine for gaming rather than accepting win8 in it's current form (I'd be doing that now if I knew that gpu folding was fairly easy under linux).

botat29

The programs you don't use often can be place it the start page, but then start the problems, you have to scroll at right because you can't create folders and put the tiles in folders, the start page is a phone pages not a desktop page. Aside I hate to schroll left and right, we are use to up and down especially with our wide screen

as the title of the tread say "Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner." but they kill it with their phone start page.

SSWilson, if you look at Pinguy, it's a modded Ubuntu, everything is already pre install. Not as good looking as Mint, but more easy to use coming from Windows.

JD

Staff member
Not sure if it's been mentioned as I really haven't been following this thread too closely, but there is the "All Apps" view which is effectively the former start menu with larger icons and horizontal layout rather than vertical. Yes, it's different, but if you can't recall the app name, it works just as well to find it. Maybe even easier since you don't have to drill down into folders.

This is at 2560x1440 though so I see quite a large number of apps without scrolling.

I've been using it for around 2 months now and the things people are saying they don't like, I've grown used to. Perhaps it's just because I'm young though and can easily adapt to changing technology or perhaps people are making too big of a deal out of nothing. As with XP to Vista/7, you have to sit down and use the OS exclusively for at least 1 month before making any opinions on it IMO. I recall our good friend enaberif sticking to XP even after Windows 7 came out and the majority of us switched to it. Finally though, he saw the light and came over :haha:

Every other version of Windows is a "massive" change and people need to get used to that. The same can be said about jumping from Windows to Linux, you aren't going to learn to love it overnight. It'll take a couple weeks/months before you fully know the inner workings of the OS and can access everything you want to.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Yep used the all Apps tab. Still found it to be too cluttered.

I did end up with a Windows 7-ish look without the use of stardock stuff. I had the Desktop view modified enough that I had everything except the start button.

JD; you dont find that you have to use the mouse to 'travel' around the screen more often? Especially with a big resolution?

botat29

I use it since a year now, first in VM and now on a PC. I'm very comfortable with it, but still it's frustrating some time, as example if you want to click the go back icon in the browser, it often open the metro application that is running at the back because the charm menu for the running metro apps is at the top left corner.

JD; you dont find that you have to use the mouse to 'travel' around the screen more often? Especially with a big resolution?

Yes especially if you want to close a Metro app, you have to slide it all the way down, of course that's if you don't know how to use alt+4

JD

Staff member
Not really, though I do run my DeathAdder at 3500dpi so it zips around pretty quickly without moving my hand much.

Honestly though, I rarely find the need to go into the metro/modern UI. Majority of my PC usage is within Chrome really. And I would use Steam/Origin to launch any games from.

botat29

I don't go often to my start page too, I clean the mess and keep only what I use there, and as you see it's very little

start.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
Not sure if it's been mentioned as I really haven't been following this thread too closely, but there is the "All Apps" view which is effectively the former start menu with larger icons and horizontal layout rather than vertical. Yes, it's different, but if you can't recall the app name, it works just as well to find it. Maybe even easier since you don't have to drill down into folders.

This is at 2560x1440 though so I see quite a large number of apps without scrolling.

I've been using it for around 2 months now and the things people are saying they don't like, I've grown used to. Perhaps it's just because I'm young though and can easily adapt to changing technology or perhaps people are making too big of a deal out of nothing. As with XP to Vista/7, you have to sit down and use the OS exclusively for at least 1 month before making any opinions on it IMO. I recall our good friend enaberif sticking to XP even after Windows 7 came out and the majority of us switched to it. Finally though, he saw the light and came over :haha:

Every other version of Windows is a "massive" change and people need to get used to that. The same can be said about jumping from Windows to Linux, you aren't going to learn to love it overnight. It'll take a couple weeks/months before you fully know the inner workings of the OS and can access everything you want to.

RE: All Apps......... See my response above about not having 40 or 50 icons on my current desktop and not being interested in starting. :)

The problem with the "new technology" argument is that in a desktop environment, it isn't new, it's in fact a step backwards from the intuitive interface we currently have.

Entilza

LOL I have honestly avoided all the windows 8 hype for a while but after seeing this I just had to comment. This is what Google, iphone, droid apps have done to the new computer world: a big mess with a search feature.

Instead of having a nice ordered structured computer and mind, everything is one big mess with a search feature... How did we get to this. It's like we're having to think less and less and be less structured or organized.

I agree this is a huge step back, I hope this gets improved somehow.

lowfat

Staff member
Win8 Metro on a multiple screen setup is FAR to much mouse work to start. Metro is just garbage.. I don't know why soooooo many people are defending it.

Even w/ a single 2560x1440 display it is bad. The old start menu was simple and efficient. It turned in to a bloated mess.

I don't go often to my start page too, I clean the mess and keep only what I use

Mine is completely blank now. :biggrin:

Latest posts