What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Tankless heat exchanger cleanout.

clshades

This is pretty brutal to be honest. Only about 4 years use but the mech room is just off the parking garage and the positive pressure system I setup failed 2 years ago. Told the, then manager, to replace the fan asap, he didn't listen and the dust caused this. This took all day to remove, pull apart and clean. I have 4 more to do. Had the fan been replaced like I asked this never would have been this bad.

Fan cost, 100 bux, if that. Repair, 1000 bux with 4 more boilers to repair. The challenging part is getting all the sensors back in the correct positions or the thing goes up in smoke.

Attachments

• clean rinnai.jpg
    clean rinnai.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 29
  • dirty rinnai.jpg
    dirty rinnai.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 29
  • internal rinnai.jpg
    internal rinnai.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 29

JD

Staff member
The fan caused this? I guess this is the hot side of the heat exchanger where the flames hit?

I know most tankless units say to descale them yearly and to clean the water and air filters. I think I have probably missed last year, but it's just one of those things that goes unnoticed... any other tips would be great if you got them!

clshades

I'll explain better. There's a 20" fresh air intake to supply the mechanical room. I put a fan in front of it to draw more air in and keep the room under positive pressure. The fan failed 2 years ago and wasn't replaced. Because hot always goes to cold, the air then started drawing from the garage pulling dust into the room and causing what you see above.

clshades

The fan caused this? I guess this is the hot side of the heat exchanger where the flames hit?

I know most tankless units say to descale them yearly and to clean the water and air filters. I think I have probably missed last year, but it's just one of those things that goes unnoticed... any other tips would be great if you got them!
Take a photo of your tankless with the cover off and I can show you how to check the inside of the copper heat exchanger. If yours is running on natural gas it's probably fine.