What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Team cup 2019 coming !

Valkyrie

Hmm..it seems that some SDR SDRAM subs are showing up in the WinRAR dogpile that haven't been weeded out yet.

Edit: I take that back, it seems there are some early DDR boards out there from the P III era. CPU-Z doesn't seem to identify it properly.

JD I only suggested Win 7 64 as kind of a good compromise OS and it does indeed seem to be "the" choice for HWBot X265. It also runs benches that favour XP usually good enough. Most subs in the WinRAR and 3DMark11 Physics dogpiles seem to be on XP, whether 32 or 64 I'm not sure. Whenever I need 64 bit I go with Win 7 because I own a copy. Win XP is easier to strip down in my experience but I don't own a 64 bit copy. For most (if not all) of the older benches XP 32 (and sometimes 64) seems to be the fastest running OS. There may be the odd one that favours Vista.

Oh, and I don't bother with updates, just the original install stripped down. Most things that require online validation can be done via a file uploaded from your daily desktop or laptop.

I'm sure Dead Things can clarify, correct and expand on this.

Last edited:

Dead Things

Yeah - Win7 64 will run WinRAR, 3DMark11 Physics and HWBOT x265 1080p. "One OS to rule them all" is a good thing in this case because it's more important you get them done than it is you eek every last point out of them.

Dead Things

I'm quite enjoying the WinRAR Dogpile stage. It only take 1 minute to get a benchmark score, and the scores all seem to make sense based on clock speed - they don't jump up and down all over hell's half acre like HWBOT Prime or Cinebench 2003 scores do from one run to the next. Also, memory speed doesn't seem to matter, which keeps you from having to put in too much tweaking effort.

Edit - FYI Val, I added your Stage 1.6 score to the spreadsheet.

Last edited:

Valkyrie

Yeah, I was hoping to improve it DT. There seems to be a couple of timing settings that don't go with the divider and I'm running out of adjustment even though the memory is running at or near stock. I'm hoping single channel will allow a little more. I guess it's time I tried to source some fast DDR.

Haven't been able to arrange a dry ice session yet due to schedule conflicts. It's a use it or lose it, as you know, and usually involves an all nighter at least. Envy you phase change folks a bit.. must be so convenient to get cold.

JD

Staff member
Man... I figured I'd use XP 32bit on this Sempron since I only have 512MB RAM... what a nightmare. Couldn't get it to detect a SATA SSD (are they not compatible with SATA1?) Tried a bunch of drivers without any luck. Had to pull out my trusty 80GB IDE Maxxtor from the junk pile and use that.

Valkyrie

Man... I figured I'd use XP 32bit on this Sempron since I only have 512MB RAM... what a nightmare. Couldn't get it to detect a SATA SSD (are they not compatible with SATA1?) Tried a bunch of drivers without any luck. Had to pull out my trusty 80GB IDE Maxxtor from the junk pile and use that.

I have never had that happen and I've been meaning to buy some IDE to SATA adapters for the old old stuff. So much nicer for OS install and re-install when you wipe it out. Must be something going on there JD. I've been using an SP3 "slipstreamed" install, maybe that's the difference. I was thinking XP supported SATA initially though....

Edit: And it does not apparently. After further research...it needs a driver. Those darned drivers...:)

Last edited:

Cptn Vortex

I swear I'll get to work soon on benching lol. Softball tournament this weekend, then camping next weekend, but after that I'll be free!!!!

JD

Staff member
I've been using an SP3 "slipstreamed" install
Yeah me too, I used to have a pretty large following on the one I made too... so it has pretty much all the drivers imaginable from that era but I still couldn't get it to work. The SATA Boot ROM was enabled in the BIOS too, but saw no evidence of the drive in POST.

Anyhow, after looking over the competition, all I can do is run WinRAR on this anyhow for the dogpile, so I think the old IDE HDD will suffice since WinRAR seems to load into memory. I'll just have to see if I can manage anything over stock clocks since this BIOS really has no options other than a +0.1V CPU and to set the bus speed.

I also don't seem to be able to get CPU-Z to load, so might need to hunt down an older version? It hangs on reading the SPD.

Valkyrie

The latest version of CPU-Z is working fine in my XP install and I don't recall ever having trouble with it....other than having to update it for comps...a couple of times a year. The (HW)Bot always wants the latest version.