What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Temps Discrepancies with Gigabyte Mobo and FX-6300

Chupacabra333

Hi guys Im having some temperatures discrepancies with the motherboard at the BIOS (Gigabyte 78LMT-S2 Rev 1.2) and software readings at the desktop and while gaming. (HWinfo 64, Core Temp, CPUID Hardware Monitor).

These are my specs:

FX-6300
Gigabyte 78LMT-S2 Rev 1.2 Mobo
Corsair Vengeange 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ running at 1333MHZ
XFX Core Edition FX-785A-ZNL4 Radeon HD 7850 1GB DDR5
Corsair CX430 V2 PSU
Cheap ass Case (Open case) ;)

First a short story.

I used to have a Gigabyte M68M-S2P mobo with an Athlon II X2 255, then a Phenom X3 720, then I grabbed An Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition cheap and place It with this mobo.The mobo was great, I could even underclock the 7750 BE for better temps and less rpms on the fan.

So while Im tryng to sell this mobo. I buy this Gigabyte 78LMT-S2 Rev 1.2 for DDR3 support and for a future FX-6300. I place the X3 720 BE in that one and some days later I notice that in facebook when I go up and down fast on several images the speaker turns on. It was the CPU Warning telling that the temps were going too high.

So I take out the Phenom and place It again on the old M68M-S2P mobo, and I do the exact thing on facebook. No problems at all. Then I put back the X3 720 to the new 78LMT-S2 Rev 1.2, problem solved. The CPU warning didnt activate but I could hear that sometimes the cpu fan goe up fast for moments. Maybe a socket problem or bad Install?

Then I sell the old good mobo, the Athlon X2 255, and the X2 7750 BE. I stick with the X3 720 and the 78LMT-S2. Then I sell the X3 and buy a FX-6300. I´ve heard that the stock fan of the FX-6300 is pretty bad. I placed CPU warning on the BIOS at 60 degrees Celsius.

When I turn the computer and I go to the BIOS temps the CPU is at 34, then in goes up to 46 or 47 at in less than 5 minutes. You guys can check the images. CPU Warning placed at 60 degrees Celsius at the BIOS settings. I read that 47 is a normal value for Idle temp for the FX-6300.

At the Desktop Idle temps seem too different for the CPU package (32.8 to 36 degrees Celsius) I started Crysis 3 game tutorial as a test to see how high the cpu goes, after 10 minutes the speaker in the case starts to beep. (as a monitoring I use MSI Afterburner with HWinfo 64) I only monitor CPU Socket at gaming since this one is even higher than the CPU Core Temp and when It reached 53 degrees is when the speaker started to beep. So...Is the cpu really reaching 60 degrees Celsius or the motherboard sensor is faulty?

You guys can check the images, on the last ones I used HWinfo64, CPUID Hardware Monitor and Core temp. The CPU Package Reached only 44.4 degrees and the CPU socket reached 53. Despite the lower temps the mobo warns you that you reached 60 degrees through the speaker.

Before all this I used to have the CPU Warning on 70 degrees through BIOS settings and while gaming on GTA IV and Far Cry 3 the cpu fan could reach 5500 rpms. Then I got a little bit concerned after I read that the max temp for the FX-6300 should be 61 degrees Celsius.

So on the last test I disabled Turbo Boost and played the Crysis 3 tutorial again, this time temps were better and I was able to start the game with no cpu warning (BIOS CPU Warning still at 60 Degrees C ), but after 10 minutes at the big naval ship the speaker started to beep. Then again, Max CPU Package was 44.4 degrees and CPU Socket Temp was 53.

I found this answer on a CPUID Forum wich is quite interesting:

Quote: " The temps on AMD CPUs are a problem because none of the current programs report the proper temps - according to AMD engineering.

People also confuse the CPU core temp with the CPU socket temp. Many programs report the mobo CPU socket temp which is of no significance since AMD and Intel began using internal CPU temp sensors. Thus you should just ignore the "CPUTIN", "CPU" and BIOS CPU or similar temps as the CPU socket temps can run 10C-25C higher than the CPU core temp depending on the CPU load and socket cooling. The CPU core temp is all that you care about. This is the temp that the temp-cut in uses at TjMax.

There are conflicting reports on the TjMax for the FX-6300 but this temp is of no concern as you should not be operating your CPU at this temp. TjMax is NOT the 24/7 operating temp for the CPU. AFAIK the max 24/7 temp for the FX-6300 is 70C. For the 8-core FX processors it's 61C. So all you care about is that your FX-6300 doesn't exceed 70C under max load, which it should not with proper cooling.

The temps reported by Core Temp are relatively accurate from ~40C upwards. The lower temps are not accurate as Core Temp and other programs like HW Monitor are not using the correct algorithm - according to AMD engineering. The only temp that is of any significance is the Max 24/7 core temp (NOT the socket temp), which for the FX-6300 should be 70C. Unless you have some cooling issues or are overclocking, you should not exceed 70C even under heavy PC use."

So after that statement...Is the mobo sensor doing bad readings? Should I place CPU Warning to 70 degrees at the BIOS and dont worry about the supposed 60 degree CPU warning?

I know what you guys are gonna say. "Get an aftermarket cooler ASAP", but my best choice right now is not available (Cooler Master Hyper TX3) other choices are so pricey here at Latín America, hell If I could get prices like in Newegg I would get a Badass Noctua. On the other hand, theres always bills to pay.

I hope you guys can help me. I dont know If this is a major concern for the system.

My conclusion is that the Gigabyte 78LMT-S2 is a very crappy mobo, suck balls hard. I should have bought Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS instead, even If It has two years less for warranty here.

UPDATE 04/16/14: Late night I was able to play Crysis 3 more time with Turbo Boost disabled, the speaker case never turned on, guess the room temperature was better and Im using a big fan for cooling my room too. Almost summer here, the heat is unbearable around 12 to 4pm at the streets.

First tests yesterday did them around 3 to 5 pm, even with the big fan behind my desktop mostly pointing to the wall near my open case for better cooling (Also gives me some cooling too, haha).

Thanks in advance. Have a good one. :punk:

<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":false,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":100,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":false,"quality":"default","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":true,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":true,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

Attachments

• PIC_0001.jpg
    PIC_0001.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,130
  • PIC_0005.jpg
    PIC_0005.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 879
  • Idle Temps 3.jpg
    Idle Temps 3.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 868
  • Idle Temp Desktop.jpg
    Idle Temp Desktop.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 978
  • Crysis 3 Frecuency 3.8GHZ P1.jpg
    Crysis 3 Frecuency 3.8GHZ P1.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 945
  • Crysis 3 Frecuency 3.8GHZ P3.jpg
    Crysis 3 Frecuency 3.8GHZ P3.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 889
  • Crysis 3 Turbo Boost Disabled.jpg
    Crysis 3 Turbo Boost Disabled.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 966
  • PIC_0006.jpg
    PIC_0006.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 950
  • PIC_0014.jpg
    PIC_0014.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 846
  • PIC_0016.jpg
    PIC_0016.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 834
  • PIC_0020.jpg
    PIC_0020.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 842
  • Temps.jpg
    Temps.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 721
Last edited:

enaberif

Only two things I will rely on for temps..

BIOS and RealTemp.

If there is a discrepancy with the software vs BIOS I will always rely on the bios.

Chupacabra333

Ok, thanks I will have that in mind, I guess my "problem" is kinda regular with this CPU, Turbo Boost is the main problem with the stock heatsink for what I see. If I rely on BIOS Temps then Im almost at the edge of max temps even with Turbo disabled. I wonder who in the hell thought about including these terrible heatsinks with the FX-6300 It would have been better not to. Its the same old model that came with my used Phenom X3 720. The box should have a legend like "Heatsink not enough for gaming".
<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":false,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":100,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":false,"quality":"default","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":true,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":true,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

Chupacabra333

Interesting, I havent seen that update. But "Modified CPU Options" is too general for me, I will google If someone has already updated the bios for some feedback. And for the record I´ve never flash a BIOS, so Its kinda risky for "first timers" isnt It?.
If this F6 update could undervoltage the CPU in a safe way like my old mobo would be nice. The Rev 1.2 is F5 Bios since there was no problem at all with the FX 6300 Install.

Chupacabra333

Well, It seems like this mobo is too simple, just bought a Hyper 212 Evo, things are OK, I updated the BIOS to F6, don't see any difference on this mobo model, not even Gigabyte support knows what are the new features of F6 update (at least they didnt tell me).

Last edited:

Chupacabra333

Update 06/19/2014

Im still with the problem, I added the last hardware info pic taken today (bottom right) While playing Borderlands 2 now the speaker alerts me that I´ve reached the 60 degrees Celsius, but now CPU socket on HWinfo marks only 49 degrees (Instead of 53 like in the first time with the stock heatsink). CPU Package is 46.

How am I reaching 60 degrees with a Hyper 212 Evo? Is the motherboard BIOS Faulty? or HWInfo is not getting the right temps? The CPU is set with Turbo Frecuency disabled, Its at 1.325volts and I raised the multiplier (cant remember what number) but Its at 3.8GHZ. What the hell is wrong with the system? I cant be reaching those temps with a Hyper 212 Evo. IS THE MOTHERBOARD TOO BAD FOR A FX-6300?

Last edited:

Latest posts