What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Tesla, CUDA, and Windows 10

moocow

Not sure if this is the right section to post this question. I'm looking for a 4GB+ Nvidia card just to do CUDA work. Since I'm not familiar with anything outside of just GPU, I'm wondering if a Tesla card would even be recognized in Windows 10 let alone actually run CUDA code on it.

Lysrin

NVIDIA makes Telsa drivers for Windows 10, so that would certainly lead me to believe a Tesla card would work on Windows 10. To be sure go to the NVIDIA drivers download and look for drivers for the model you are considering: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

You can also see on that page that you can select the CUDA toolkit version when selecting the driver. CUDA definitely works on Tesla cards: "CUDA works with all Nvidia GPUs from the G8x series onwards, including GeForce, Quadro and the Tesla line. CUDA is compatible with most standard operating systems." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA The Tesla link in that quote provides more info too.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I think it'll be fine, but I would look in to UEFI support, rather the block might be newer motherboards not supporting the card

moocow

I'm planning on sticking into a Z170 board so an older K20 should be fine. Someone is listing K80 at $100 USD starting bid but the usual price is $400~.

moocow

Well I only budgeted around $150 CAD to play with but I'll take a look at the pricing. Should of jumped on that $130 960 4GB.

sswilson

Staff member
Well I only budgeted around $150 CAD to play with but I'll take a look at the pricing. Should of jumped on that $130 960 4GB.

Heh.... maybe not.... Turned out that "4GB" 960 was in fact a 2GB version... I bought it as a 4GB and never thought to check it (I thought that model card only had 4GB versions) but the buyer discovered it was a 2GB version when he got it. :(

I offered to take it back and/or a bit of a refund on it, but the buyer was OK with the price he paid in spite of it only being a 2GB card.

Latest posts

Twitter