What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Tesla Model 3

jalmir

I actually have a Chevrolet Volt 2011 right now. Love it! I live in an apartment building myself, the land owner is nice enough to let me use their 120V outlet without increasing my monthly payment. The outlet works fine during summer and winter. Of course finding new apartments are going to be a bit more picky since I need to know if they'll supply me with an outlet or not.

My problem is that I bought one unit in a 4plex, and the whole section of my neighborhood was build in the 30's (so no outlet outside) and no parking space, I would have to run an extension cord from inside and running on the sidewalk, far far from optimal, and like I said, I'm the owner, so even if we had a parking space I would have to pay the electricity, not that it matters that much anyway IMO :haha:

JD

Staff member
I actually have a Chevrolet Volt 2011 right now. Love it! I live in an apartment building myself, the land owner is nice enough to let me use their 120V outlet without increasing my monthly payment. The outlet works fine during summer and winter. Of course finding new apartments are going to be a bit more picky since I need to know if they'll supply me with an outlet or not.
Speaking of... isn't the new Volt already out? And the Bolt is coming later this year?

I think both are on similar levels of this Model 3, but the problem is, it's a Chevy. Same goes for the Kia Soul EV, it's a Kia.

I think the only reason why Telsa is seeing so many preorders thus far is because they've made quite the reputation for themselves and people generally see them as high-quality luxurious vehicles.

KaptCrunch

Nicola makes the best in electric for the rest can't smoke the tires as tesla is by far is advanced engineering

writhen

Speaking of... isn't the new Volt already out? And the Bolt is coming later this year?

I think both are on similar levels of this Model 3, but the problem is, it's a Chevy. Same goes for the Kia Soul EV, it's a Kia.

I think the only reason why Telsa is seeing so many preorders thus far is because they've made quite the reputation for themselves and people generally see them as high-quality luxurious vehicles.

I think there's a lot more to it than that.

Tesla has gone the extra step from day one. First of all, they are the first pure EV company - this means that 80% of their employees are from silicon valley and have a software/eng background as opposed to under 10% in most other car manufacturers. This is why they have things like over the air updates and all teslas connected to a singular network for autopilot learning. It's basically a simple AI for autonomous vehicles at this point.

Beyond that, they have a strong focus on safety, tech and build quality. Yes, I might have drank the koolaid a bit, but I think they're still miles ahead of vehicles like the Chevy Bolt. I do have a pre-order in though, so I'm biased :haha:

JD

Staff member
I guess my point is, there's already "affordable" EV's out there, yet nobody lined up to preorder or even buy it once it's at the dealership. Even the BMW i3 is around the same price as the Model 3. I would argue the EV's with the "gas generator" are more suited for our current Canadian market too, since we really don't have that many charging stations.

I can only feel that Tesla is the Apple of the EV market. People line up in droves to buy whatever they release next.

b1lk1

Limited market, limited appeal and limited range. They might be OK for city use, but they are no good for those of us outside the city. I would require 400KM+ range to be able to rely on one. Price of ANY new car now a days is too much for my budget so can't really complain too much there.

People are freaking out because of a story that a Jeep was hacked and control was taken over yet they don't seem to mind that Tesla's cars are all network connected.

Tesla is definitely the Apple of the auto world.

Herne

I guess my point is, there's already "affordable" EV's out there, yet nobody lined up to preorder or even buy it once it's at the dealership. Even the BMW i3 is around the same price as the Model 3. I would argue the EV's with the "gas generator" are more suited for our current Canadian market too, since we really don't have that many charging stations.

I can only feel that Tesla is the Apple of the EV market. People line up in droves to buy whatever they release next.

I like BMW and drive one, but the i3 is $50K (starts at) for the version with 250km range. And for the Volt I jst don't trust a GM product's build quality, engineering or commitment to execution.

Limited market, limited appeal and limited range. They might be OK for city use, but they are no good for those of us outside the city. I would require 400KM+ range to be able to rely on one. Price of ANY new car now a days is too much for my budget so can't really complain too much there.

Yeah, if I go EV it would use as a commute driver only. I have a family mover for those snowy country drives of a hockey parent.

People are freaking out because of a story that a Jeep was hacked and control was taken over yet they don't seem to mind that Tesla's cars are all network connected.

Tesla is definitely the Apple of the auto world.
They might be the old Apple of the automotive world, that is why people are interested. Apple was never about new technology; it was about understanding their consumer really well, simplifying the experience, and coming off as well engineered. Don't like iOS or Macs and their prices but must confess I have never tried to switch my mother to a PC either.

b1lk1

I am certainly not saying we should not be having cars like the Tesla, it is necessary for innovation. Biggest problem is that Canada's infrastructure for electric only cars is pathetic at best. Hopefully we start actually changing our core beliefs to make these cars more usable for everyone.

Herne

I am certainly not saying we should not be having cars like the Tesla, it is necessary for innovation. Biggest problem is that Canada's infrastructure for electric only cars is pathetic at best. Hopefully we start actually changing our core beliefs to make these cars more usable for everyone.

No doubt, but in urban centres where these make the most sense now it is already starting. As intimated above, I suspect malls will actually be foolish not to put in charging stations when the Tesla 3 size numbers start arriving. It has started just to serve the 'S'; though admittedly offering $1-5 worth of electricity to have a solid piece of time with a consumer that drops $90K+ on a luxury vehicle is a slightly different equation.

jalmir

Agreed, myself too would need a 400km+ range car, I have family spread around in QC and ON and in case of Tesla Motor I can't even use the superchargers as "links" to those destinations. I did 85k KM in 4 years with the car currently use, so I would have to somehow use a "regular" car most of the time, not practical IMO. Would LOVE to have a Tesla car though!