What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Test a network port stability?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
In my quest to find out why my folding rig does not receive and send WUs and Cores properly, I've started poking my nose into the network adaptors of the board (Tyan S8812, Intel 82574L and 82576EB - TYAN - S8812 (S8812WGM3NR), AMD 45nm 8-Core/12-Core Opteron 6100 Series Processors (Magny-Cours) / HT3.0 support ; 12MB L3 per socket / AMD 32nm 8-Core/12-Core/16-Core Opteron 6200 Series Processors (Interlagos), G34). Using Ubuntu's Network tools and the ping feature, I found some interesting results... packets are transmitted 100% of the time, but the received packets vary from 40 to 100%, with sometimes 0%...

Dying adaptor? Are there any other tests I can run on the adaptor to confirm this? Aside from buying a PCIe network port, which I'm that [___] close of doing tomorrow afternoon...

:blarg:

Nodscene

I don't know what you've done already but I'd start with the basics. Change network cable(s). Are other pc's using the same router/switch/modem? If not I'd be testing those to see if the issue lies with any of them.

Keywork

Out of curiosity, I would install wireshark and leave it on while transferring files or performing some pings or traceroutes. I'm curious if packets are actually entering the device (or driver level at that) or you're just dropping them due to packet loss or malformation or whatever for that matter.

Edit: Nodscene has some good basic points too. Start with a cable and go from there. May be a bad port, or switch. Also, any other machines experiencing similar behavior? What's your network look like?

ZZLEE

Got to speedtest net an run ping test on a few servers seeif its your providers dogie lines.

getting A to A+ on my ping test after some big headakes over the dogie gatway Rogers sold me.
Rogers modems tha they sell to you are dogie at best.

ZZLEE

fore me " Mount Royal, QC " usaly get 15-17 ping but have tryed others still getting "A" qaulity lines so im happy with ping anyway. Gatway or throttling kicks in and goes wonky using tripple hosting so just using one up 20 mb stable and it works so some what happy i gues.

3.0charlie

Cable and switch ports have been swapped in the testing too. Other rigs (W7s) on the same network with nice packet completion. Pinging Google.ca, will try Speedtest later on this evening.
Only my folding rig has this odd behavior.

3.0charlie

This is getting worse, in such that I can't even get a successful packet anymore.

Network for the folding rig is as follows:

Modem / Router Asus RT-56N / Dlink DGS-1016D Gigabit switch / Asus Gigabit switch / Dual network connections.

The second switch is needed since the board uses IPMI, which needs its dedicated network port. And since the rig is in the garage, I needed a small 5-port switch to make it all work.
This is nothing new, it worked with this setup for a few months.

Though digging through the network settings and information, I see that the adaptors have now both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses...

Nodscene

Sounds like you've done a lot of testing already and basically isolated it to your folding rig. I'd probably grab a laptop and connect it to one of the cables that's connected to your folding rig just to ensure it's also having the same issue. Either that or I'd just say screw it and buy new nic cards haha.

3.0charlie

Actually, the lappy test will be performed tonight. I have bought a PCI-e network card (Intel Gigabit CT), and a 50' CAT5e 'net cable.

If all this fails, I'll have no choice to RMA the board.

Latest posts