What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

text won't display right

FreqE1

I just did a reformat on my mother's comp. XP is the operating system. She is using a 19" widescreen and the native 1440x900 resolution makes the text too small.

When we adjust the resolution to a lower one the text ends up looking like someone wrote it with a pen that is running out of ink (best way to describe it). It's barely legible.

I seem to remember a setting somewhere that smoothed fonts or true type or something like that. Can't find either. How do I get this text readable?

mklym

Try this.

Right click the desktop. Select Properties. In the window that opens, select the Appearance tab, then click the Effects button.
Check the check-box in front of - use the following to smooth edges of screen fonts. In the drop down menu, select Clear Type.

sswilson

Staff member
You should also be keeping the native resolution for the monitor, but using the "advanced" properties to increase text size. LCD monitors typically don't display very well outside of their native res.

1Tanker

Try this: Open "Display Properties"...click "appearance" tab. Left-bottom menu.."Font Size"....Change it to Large Fonts, apply. If that isn't enough.. try Extra-Large Fonts...apply. GL :biggrin:

Supergrover

Try this: Open "Display Properties"...click "appearance" tab. Left-bottom menu.."Font Size"....Change it to Large Fonts, apply. If that isn't enough.. try Extra-Large Fonts...apply. GL :biggrin:
Yup thats what I do, my eyes arnt what they used to be , cataracts, I use Large, extra is just to large. I also use "GoodTimes" font thats a bit larger than most of MS's offerings, be warned that that large fonts sometime leads to text being cutoff from some menu's.

FreqE1

Thanks guys, I'll go try that after I finish waking up and get a Java or two in me.

enaberif

Geez you guys..

Its called screen DPI.

I have no idea where to find it in Vista so you'll have to google it.

You will want to increase it from 96 to 110 or so.

FreqE1

It's strange but all the same internal parts provided great text at any resolution before the reformat.

My mother is a facebook junkie and of course she got infected with the zlob virus. I decided to reformat rather than fight it. The comp is an HP AMD and I had put XP on it because she hated Vista. Lots of fun tracking down drivers! I did this months ago and everything went fine. This time around the text thing happened.

I found a resonable comprimise between the resolution, text size option, DPI and enabled the clear type option (that's the one I couldn't find). I hated going away from the native resolution but it's her comp and eyes so WTH. It's at 1300something x 720, 126 DPI, large fonts with clear type. Any other non-native res gives bad text. She's happy so life's good.

Thanks again guys.

Supergrover

Geez you guys..

Its called screen DPI.

I have no idea where to find it in Vista so you'll have to google it.

You will want to increase it from 96 to 110 or so.
Fonts and DPI are 2 different things here , increasing font doses just that increases the "type" DPI affects everything from Fonts to icon's.
I used to just turn up the DPI to 120 but now I just adjust the fonts, looks cleaner

enaberif

It's strange but all the same internal parts provided great text at any resolution before the reformat.

My mother is a facebook junkie and of course she got infected with the zlob virus. I decided to reformat rather than fight it. The comp is an HP AMD and I had put XP on it because she hated Vista. Lots of fun tracking down drivers! I did this months ago and everything went fine. This time around the text thing happened.

I found a resonable comprimise between the resolution, text size option, DPI and enabled the clear type option (that's the one I couldn't find). I hated going away from the native resolution but it's her comp and eyes so WTH. It's at 1300something x 720, 126 DPI, large fonts with clear type. Any other non-native res gives bad text. She's happy so life's good.

Thanks again guys.
I suggest to get your mom a 17 or 19 inch monitor if she has that much trouble seeing a computer screen.

Also you can increase the font size separately in a browser.

Latest posts

Twitter