What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The AMD Polaris GPU Architecture Preview Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
0.1ms response time
400,000:1 contrast
120Hz refresh

Jaw = floor.

ipaine

0.1ms response time
400,000:1 contrast
120Hz refresh

Jaw = floor.

:shok:

But damn that price. Although I did kind of laugh when they said one of the things wrong with it was that the connections are on the bottom, just like the vast majority of monitors out there. If that turns out to be the only thing wrong then we have a huge win.

But monitors like these are why we need to get some huge improvements on the high-end cards from both camps. Cause like mentioned 4k gaming is just not really feasible, well at least not with all the eye candy turned on.

ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

Dell UP3017Q OLED 4K monitor hands on review | TechRadar

If this actually turns out to be 4K @ 120hz, this is the standard to shoot for.

:)

That... is definitely made of magic! But no mention of freesync or Gsync... I guess my main uses for my monitor is gaming and I definitely know my next monitor will be adaptive sync. It's kind of odd there isn't at least freesync since freesync is royalty free and would be fantastic for gamers... then again, I don't think Dell has put out a single freesync monitor. :\

ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

Dell only has one VRR monitor period - the G-Sync S2716DG, and that only came out quite recently!

Once we see more panels/scalars capable of providing a wider range of Freesync on higher resolution monitors, I'm sure we'll see more options. Right now, you're left having to do this kind of stuff, or waiting to get the Foris FS2735which will supposedly have a toggle between modes.

Actually? With AMD's Crimson driver they added in frame doubling when below the minimum variable refresh rate which works as long as the maximum VRR is more than double the minimum VRR. With that? It now matches more closely to NVIDIA's GSync and being able to achieve an extremely low VRR with either no tearing or reduced tearing depending on VSYNC settings.

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Improves FreeSync and Frame Pacing Support | PC Perspective

crimson-22.jpg

Technically lowering the VRR by a few Hz could also help but it seems like using Freesync with VSYNC on is still the best way to go about it and just setting a framerate cap that matches the maximum VRR which is what I'd definitely do if my next GPU ends up being an AMD Polaris enthusiast GPU whenever those come out. I've been patient so I'll continue to wait and see what happens with Polaris and see also what happens with the price of the fury series.

With LFC? It'll definitely make the Acer XG270HU an even better freesync monitor... which is the one I was eyeballing if I buy an AMD GPU. :)

Last edited:

Vittra

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but my point wasn't regarding minimum operational range, despite the linked threads original purpose. It's with reference to operation of freesync within the FULL range of the monitor, and that depends on the monitor's scalar, not freesyncs capabilities (of which is 9 - 244hz). The MG279Q is a 144hz monitor, but it's official Freesync range is 35 - 90 hz. Later on in the thread I linked, someone used the software to achieve freesync @ 60 hz - 144hz, and I've heard another report that someone did 56 - 144hz, which is what Eizo is claiming with their upcoming monitor as one of two toggles.

What isn't possible is 35 - 144hz on the MG279Q, or the Eizo apparently, which probably uses the same AUO panel. What is needed is panels that can support freesync in the full range of the monitor up to it's max value.

limitedaccess

Sounds like the iphone 6s situation. May be two different nodes/processes for the same model of cards. Should make for interesting binning!

Very unlikely. AMD will not have the volumes to justify the large fixed costs associated with designing a chip for two different processes. Any production split will likely be per chip (eg. Hawaii on one, Fiji on another. Not Fiji on both).

Wouldn't necessarily be faster. Look at the original XBOX 360 to the XBOX 360 Slim. They made huge changes internally, it went from a 65nm CPU with separate GPU to a single 45nm chip with CPU+GPU onboard. Games played the same on either unit.

The core architecture. You can't really change that since it would break the low level optimizations console developers target.

Process shrink will probably happen eventually once the economics swing in there favor.

Latest posts