What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The big AMD GPU reveal.....BANG!

MARSTG

The 6800 won't give anyone a scare, at least not at 579 usd. AMD needs to lower the price at least to equal Nvidia's If they hope to sell it.

Skippman

Man, almost makes me want to switch teams if AMD can get their drivers sorted. But I'm kind of invested in the nVidia ecosystem with my gSync monitor and my nVidia Shield TV's.

Ernimus Prime

I think the RX 6800 XT is the card I will get to replace my GTX 1080. I am hope that the DXR results are close to the RTX 3080. Even if it is 20% slower. I think the RX 6800 XT will be an excellent card. Hope AMD solves the driver issues this time around. Wait and see I guess.

Bond007

The 6800 won't give anyone a scare, at least not at 579 usd. AMD needs to lower the price at least to equal Nvidia's If they hope to sell it.
I don't think that will happen with double the VRAM. Maybe they will release an 8GB version, or a "6700XT"

Entz

Yeah I could see the 6700XT being a killer if the price and performance is right. The 3070 is slower on average than a 2080Ti at 4k and matches it on average at 1440P (Hardware Unboxed review) so the , take a grain of salt, benchmarks from AMD have the 6800 in a class above. Akin to a 3070 Ti/Super.

6700XT at even 450-499 with more VRAM, matching a 3070 .. that would make people think twice..

Last edited:

Dwayne

Yeah I could see the 6700XT being a killer if the price and performance is right. The 3070 is slower on average than a 2080Ti at 4k and matches it on average at 1440P (Hardware Unboxed review) so the , take a grain of salt, benchmarks from AMD have the 6800 in a class above. Akin to a 3070 Ti/Super.

6700XT at even 450-499 with more VRAM, matching a 3070 .. that would make people think twice..

The 6800 bench marks show they turned on the smart access memory though, which supposedly gives them a boost depending on the game tested.

Best to wait and see 3rd party reviews. Also, while 16GB of VRAM is now a selling point, I think it will only make a difference at 4K, and only under certain circumstances. But, that is why we rely on the reviews, testing on a single platform with controlled and know information.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Best to wait and see 3rd party reviews. Also, while 16GB of VRAM is now a selling point, I think it will only make a difference at 4K, and only under certain circumstances. But, that is why we rely on the reviews, testing on a single platform with controlled and know information.
I suspect the extra RAM will make it a real 1440p monster.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I suspect the extra RAM will make it a real 1440p monster.
I dont think so. Current gen cards arnt using >=8gb at 1440p (2080's for example), and given textures dont increase until 4k+ I cant see that changing this generation either. If you bring DLSS (and AMD's equivalent?) in to account, I could actually see overall ram usage shrinking.

Entz

I am not sure how much it matters YET, it is a hard thing to quantify as you can't measure memory pressure without in engine tools or 2 identical cards with different VRAM (Which doesn't exist now that Nvidia killed the higher ram variants)

However the part that sucks, is that the 1070 in came with 8GB in 2016! . No change in 4 years.. come on, that's just bein cheap..

Edit: More :coffee:

Latest posts