What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The big AMD GPU reveal.....BANG!

Izerous

Folding Team
Triple wide broke a lot of games when I last used it, borderlands 2, skyrim, and a bunch of others will nearly unplayable in some situations since they only took into account screen width not height for GUI scaling so 2/3rd of the UI would be rendered off screen. Picking my borderlands 2 player based off their shoes made if difficult to determine who was who. But I haven't tried that since triple wide 4k just isn't something i'm chasing, so no comment on things like Borderlands 3.

ipaine

When trying to gauge how a gpu will perform on my 3440x1440 I always just go in between the 4k and 1440 results. Go right in the middle and if everything is equal you will get just a bit better than that, give or take a little.

As for this launch, well it is an obvious paper launch. And what makes it even worse is how AMD was basically taking digs at Nvidia for their launch, and this one is way worse for availability. I mean hell Memory Express not having any and not even taking back orders is a bad sign for stock levels. And then the stories of MicroCenter only having 2 at one store, 10 at another, it just makes me wonder, how many actual cards got sent to retail for launch?

Sorry AMD, while I am very happy to see you at least competing now, you will not gain any ground if people can't buy the cards.

Izerous

Folding Team
AMD CPU launch didn't feel like a paper launch, low inventory yes but seemed like significantly more units available. Considering Memory Express's website said don't even bother asking us because we have none... I think Nvidia did a better job on the GPU side of releasing things

ipaine

AMD CPU launch didn't feel like a paper launch, low inventory yes but seemed like significantly more units available. Considering Memory Express's website said don't even bother asking us because we have none... I think Nvidia did a better job on the GPU side of releasing things
Agreed, CPU side AMD did decent. While not tons of stock there was still had stock. But GPU side, not good at all.

Jokester

will be interesting to see if the rumors are true that the AIB partners will have a significant amount of stock that they will be releasing shortly.

The actual proper custom AIB cards that most of you are probably going to be interested in, they won’t be releasing for another week. So 25th they become available. Probably again in limited numbers. It won’t be until a few weeks before start seeing strong availability.

Lysrin

It would be nice for review sites to test 21:9 though as I think it's becoming more popular. 16:9 @ 1440p seems to becoming less common now with 4K replacing it.
I would certainly appreciate this in reviews, and I'm not sure why it hasn't happened already. Ultrawide users are certainly increasing.

As @ipaine said, looking at the difference between the 4K and 1440p numbers gets you an indication, that is what I do too, but it would still be nice to have actual 3440x1440 numbers to reference.

My 1080 Ti is still doing fairly well at 3440x1440, keeping me mostly between 50-80 FPS I'd say in modern games with high settings. Not competitive gamer levels I know, but fine for me. When I had my recent dalliance with a couple of 32" 2560x1440 monitors, it certainly did better at that resolution, but overall gaming experience wasn't very different.

One upside of the 1080 Ti hanging in there is that is tempers my desire for a new GPU given the cost and makes these stock issues more bearable!

Dwayne

The Hardware Unboxed folks talked about the AIB release upcoming, and they basically confirmed what our HWC YouTubers have found out. Stock will be very, very limited.

draemn

Release day.....yippy

Yeah so I just received a friendly email from AMD, seeing how I am a team red member. I guess I'm on their mailing list for this and that basically. Anyways I was offered an early crack at a 6800 or 6800 XT graphics card, just click on the link so I did. After a couple minutes waiting for the page to download.......
Lo and behold there it was, the 6800 XT and its features listed as was the price and the line that read "out of stock"
What would have been AWESOME is if they sent everyone a unique link/code so that only one email could buy one unit to make it even harder for scalpers. They still would have run out of stock, but it probably would have caught the bots off guard.

Well, the competition has arrived. Choices get harder, and prices should get more interesting finally. I have looked at a few video and written reviews and the game choices make such a difference in the performance, and conclusions.

Well, back to reading and watching. I am not sure which card to buy. I play slower paced aRPG games and simulators usually. I think I will be sticking with 1440p but I might do some investigating at the Ultra Wide screen, and it appears that higher pixel counts still favour the NVidia cards. I hope to see some ultra wide benchmarks, but I am using 4k as an indicator of performance as well. For you ultra wide guys, do you find performance is more in line with 4k than with 2560x1440p?
As someone else already pointed out, the bit of comparing 1440 to 1440uw to 4k, 4k is way more demanding than 1440uw. As for your other points, with FreeSync, you don't really have to worry all that much. A 3070 or a 6800 will suit your needs just fine. At 1440 or 1440uw, the AMD card gives a little bit more, but you lose out on DLSS and some ray-tracing, along with any other nvidia only features you want (if you use them at all). If you're debating the step to the 6800XT vs the 3080 it's a very close call once again! But for just a single 1440uw, the more expensive options are really overkill today unless you're a fps snob and expect it to stay above 140 fps. Your current 16:9 144hz with FreeSync don't need anything more than the 3070.

At this point I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ on the 6800 depending what is in stock first, but otherwise I'd (personally) pick the 3070 for the Nvidia "extras" and cheaper price tag. Lots of people are worried about the 8GB of VRAM, but I'm hopeful that between good bandwith and a future with directstorage API, games will be better optimized with vram usage. None of this hogging vram just because it's hard to move textures on and off the GPU.

Yeah, I watched that this morning and left for work depressed. I`m home now and still depressed:(
sorry. I set my expectations that I didn't even try on launch, I'm waiting for 3rd party cards to hit the channel before I even think about one being in stock. I have a backorder on a 3070 which is keeping me calm as at least I'll get something at some point without having to use stock tracking to try and get in.

Latest posts