What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress The Crippled God. Scratch Open Frame Build.

Bartacus

This should be awesome, love the design! As a water cooler, I totally get ditching it. Water and small builds really don't go well together at all. Too much compromise. Wise choice! Looking forward to the result!

Mnpctech

always killer work by lowfat. btw after this made, maybe consider doing limited "crowd funded" production run. I love the rugged design

lowfat

Staff member
Thanks guys. :)

Probably wouldn't ever bother trying to sell it. Not really interested in trying to make money via hobbies. I'll probably just release all the source files afterward tho if anyone wanted to make it on their own. Lots of it could easily be made from acrylic. But lots of it would need to be 3d printed or injection molded. Which is time consuming or expensive.

Reworked the feet a bit. Got rid of the fillets as they really didn't match the rest of the system. Also removed some of the screw mounts as 8 per foot seemed kind of ridiculous. Still has 6 tho.
1.PNG

The sleeving I'll be using. MDPC-X Perfect Pink and Riviera Blue. Both are the XTC small. I'm not sure I like it as much. But I'll wait till I actually try it on sleeving. Both are UV reactive and I'll be using a lot of UV LED in this system.

New motherboard. Asus Prime X570-Pro. Cheapest board I could find w/ 3 PCIe x8/x16 slots.

And the heart of the new system. I'm already using the CPU + mobo. At least 5x faster @ rendering than my previous CPU.

Wanted to show a better pic of the sleeving combs on the mobo tray. I'm going to do the bottom row of wires in one colour. Then the top two in the second colour. Then I'm going to try to replicate how the wires were done on the first Xforma gold prototype. Which is why they are spaced out.
https://xforma.com/galleries/custom_build_archive/
2.PNG

EDIT: Should be the final clocks for the CPU. Am going to loop Cinabench R20 and drop the Vcore slowly to see how low it will go. But I'm pretty happy w/ the outcome. Decided not to use Precision Boost as it didn't get anywhere near 4.6GHz single threaded and barely did 4GHz on all cores. Really hope to see CCX overclocking put in to the bios tho as having to set my overclock manually every boot is kind of annoying.

Last edited:

Jokester

what a beast that cpu is. I really like the layout of your build. the offset wire guides are a good idea should look nice. funny I was going to do a similar thing with a piece of aluminum overtop of my cases existing structure.

lowfat

Staff member
what a beast that cpu is. I really like the layout of your build. the offset wire guides are a good idea should look nice. funny I was going to do a similar thing with a piece of aluminum overtop of my cases existing structure.
It was this honestly the reason I wanted to buy a 3d printer at first. Just to print inserts that you could screw over top the existing cable management holes in cases. But by the time I actually bought one that wasn't how I rolled.

Progress has been slow unfortunately. If you read the 3d printer thread, I created a heated enclosure for my printer so I could reliably print ABS. I wanted to print the whole case out of ABS as its easier to post process. But it caused my extruder to melt. Had replacements printed out of PETG, and it melted :(. I've since printed the entire extruder at least 4 more times after that. But its all good now. So the last couple days I just cranked out the parts. I have since stopped printing large ABS prints tho as its too hard to prevent warping w/o risking my printer melting.

Most of the parts are printed. A few parts are missing as I needed to reprint them.

The motherboard tray. Printed in PLA. The combs I tossed as they need too much post processing. So I'll reprint them from ABS or PETG.

Yes! A perfect fit.

Sleeved the USB C internal cable as well as the power button. One side of power button unfinished as I don't know its exact length yet. USB cable isn't perfect, but stretching the heatshrink to get it over the connector was a real pain.

UV LEDs showed up. Better than I expected. Very little visible light thrown. Its mostly just the reflection off the parts. Threw in some UV orange printer parts to see their affect.

Last edited:

Bond007

Looking good!

Out of curiosity, since I know next to nothing about 3D printing, what do you figure it will cost you in raw materials to make a case like this? Not that it really matters for something so unique, but I am curious about 3D printing.

lowfat

Staff member
Looking good!

Out of curiosity, since I know next to nothing about 3D printing, what do you figure it will cost you in raw materials to make a case like this? Not that it really matters for something so unique, but I am curious about 3D printing.
Probably about 3KG of filament, which would be about $20-25/KG normally. However all the clear PLA I snagged for $5/KG on Prime Day. So about $30 lol. The aluminum extrusions set me back $60. So not bad....if you don't consider the few hundred hours of labour in to designing the case and the hours of painting/post processing to follow.

Bond007

Probably about 3KG of filament, which would be about $20-25/KG normally. However all the clear PLA I snagged for $5/KG on Prime Day. So about $30 lol. The aluminum extrusions set me back $60. So not bad....if you don't consider the few hundred hours of labour in to designing the case and the hours of painting/post processing to follow.
That’s kind of what I figured. “Cost” isn’t bad, but you pay with your time. That said, if you enjoy the adventure and the outcome it’s worth it!

Latest posts

Twitter