What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress The Crippled God. Scratch Open Frame Build.

lowfat

Staff member
The motherboard tray parts I did not reprint as I had so much work in to them already. Here is after a ton of epoxy and sanding.

export-6.jpg

export-7.jpg
I painted them and realized it wasn't even close to being done. So I'm not using a super thin laquer and an eye dropper on areas where you could tell it was 3d printed.

export-10.jpg
The laquer is stuff left over from a previous project. It has some aluminum pearl in it. Helps with filler lol.
export-14.jpg

Macro

export-9.jpg
Thought the main motherboard tray was also finished.
export-8.jpg

But nope, lite sanding shows it definitely isn't. Getting closer though.
export-11.jpg

Backside is definitely getting there.
export-12.jpg

Same process on the rest of the parts. Lots of sanding yet to do.
export-13.jpg

Bond007

I love following this build. I don't think I will get into 3d printing until it matures a bit more (more reliable without spending a small fortune), but I love the flexibility to go FULL custom.

lowfat

Staff member
Modeled a super simple cover to hide the top of the NH-D14 heatsink.

Printed and painted.

Worked on the LED controller. An ESP8266 development board, using an ON Semiconductor FQP30N06L mosfet so I can dim the UV LEDs. This will control both the UV leds as well as some addressable RGBs LEDs. Also threw in a spare AM2320 humidity / temperature sensor.

Built the frame. Took a few tries to get it square and all the pieces the correct length. Fitment of the panels is pretty good.

The mounting hardware for the corners. I could stand on this thing and it wouldn't move.

Modeled a small enclosure for the LED controller as well as the holes for the power button, chassis fan speed switch, and 'front panel' USB-C.

Where I'm going to put the UV LEDs for the bottom. You can see one hiding on top of the LED controller enclosure. I'm trying to get the UV to only shine on the sleeving. Although the UV LEDs don't actually throw a ton of visible light.

And the two @ the top of the case.

The LED controller enclosure printed and have started prep work on it.

This is the 'paint' I'm using. It works great for 3d printed parts due to its heavy texture. Its also ridiculously strong. Only issue I have w/ it, is that it has a lot of overspray. Its hard to get a super even coating. I'm try to see if I can sand w/ some 800 grit or something to remove the overspray w/o damaging the look. But if I can't I'll live w/ it. I could always paint over it. But I love how durable this is compared to standard spray paint.

Main part of motherboard tray is completed I believe.

I/O part of the tray needs another coat or two on certain parts.

Also done. Other 3 need more work.

The following are all still a WIP.

UV LED mounts.

Still haven't decided on where to put the addressable RGB strips. Preferably I'd like them out of sight. I'm thinking maybe shinning underneath the case, on the backside of the case around the entire thing. Or on the front, but facing the hardware, however this way I'd need to print something and they'd need to stick out. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
Printed a basic fan hub cover so I don't have to sleeve all the way to the hub. Had to print 2 different versions as my front fans are too close to the motherboard tray.

Have the majority of the case put on the frame. Does need a coat or two in some places yet.

Didn't take in to account for the paint thickness and the PCIe cards wouldn't slot in properly. So had to do a whole lot of sanding.

My USB-C 'front panel' cable was about an inch to short. So I had to redo the PSU mounts. The LED controller enclosure also needs a reprint.

A super basic GPU anti-sag using motherboard tray screw hole.

New render. I've decided to print a floor, which is currently printing ATM. As well as I've decided on where the addressable RGB will go. You can see the channels around the edge of the case. Goes completely around. I've had them printed so I know they fit, unfortunately once again I didn't take in to account paint, and they'd hit the side panel. So they are being reprinted.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I really like how that bedliner makes it look like metal. Doesn't look 3D printed at all.

lowfat

Staff member
I really like how that bedliner makes it look like metal. Doesn't look 3D printed at all.
Not shown is the hours I've spent sanding. But it sands great. I've went through 6 cans plus a quart of lacquer that I use as a thin filler.

I'm more impressed w/ the durability of the bed liner spray. Normal spray paint can be scratched w/ a finger nail. This stuff feels more like powder coating once it's cured.

boots

The fan hub cover is a great idea and looks great. And the build is very cool - a nice change to see an air only build.

Jokester

Starting to come together! The hub cover and GPU stand are a genius idea. The GPU bracket you probably wouldn't even notice in final build either

danmitch1

Incredible work !
What are you using to render with?
Did you model the fans, psu, heatsinks etc yourself? Or were these available online for download?