What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress The Crippled God. Scratch Open Frame Build.

lowfat

Staff member
Are you sanding by hand , or power tool? Sanding a mm of pla by hand sounds like a pain!
By hand, you can't really use a machine w/ PLA as you'll start melting it within seconds.

Going to use a different device for LED control. Sub $10 RGB controller from Aliexpress.

Open it up. Using an ESP8285 controller.

Take out the trusty TS100, flashed w/ custom firmware. This thing was a game changer for soldering IMO.

Did a quick and dirty solder job to attach RX/TX, 3.3V, ground, and GPIO0 so I can flash the firmware on PC. Flashed it to ESPHome, which allows me to use the GPIO to my own specs and will sync to my home automation software, Home Assistant.

Resleeved the power button w/ small diamater wire. And also was able to sleeve the USB-C cable.

I took the whole case apart and spend a rather long while sanding and painting. Also went over the whole case again w/ a jet black lacquer as I didn't like how uneven the bed liner looked. It still isn't perfect but it looks a lot better. And as you can see the PCIe cards do fit properly now. Also painted the white plastic parts of the motherboard to a silver-ish colour. It is peel-able in case I ever need to warranty the board.

Finished wiring up the chassis fans. They all get power from the water-pump header on the board, and then the fan control runs under motherboard to the back near the PSU. Small covers that cover up the cables/connectors.

danmitch1

Pretty fkin impressive man! Flashing your own firmware on a soldering iron!? and a RGB controller... jeeezus

Vittra

I love this case. This project has evolved over time to be exactly what I was hoping Silverstone would one day make. Something bigger than the TJ08-E at 31L with ATX support, but smaller than the FT04 as that's too large at 57.6L.

lowfat

Staff member
I love this case. This project has evolved over time to be exactly what I was hoping Silverstone would one day make. Something bigger than the TJ08-E at 31L with ATX support, but smaller than the FT04 as that's too large at 57.6L.

This case is has external dimensions @ around 46L. Only way I could really make it smaller would seriously hamper my cable management.
I like your soldering iron. what were you using previously as a comparison?

Aoyue 936 or something. It is a clone of a Hakko. I've had this TS100 for maybe 2 years and it is such a massive improvement. Heatup to 350C in about 15 seconds.

lowfat

Staff member
Working on 24-pin

Working on terminating the other end of the 24-pin. Hopefully I got all these the correct lengths.

Terminated them all upside down. :(

But after 4-6 hours I was able to fix them.

Going to need a couple of Y-cables since I am using an 8-pin PCIe on PSU end for the 8-pin EPS on the motherboard. Outcome is way cleaned cables @ PSU end. Melt them a bit to make sure all cables hold. Then I'll put heatshrink over top to make it look decent.

Finished off both 24-pin and EPS. 24-pin combs will be broken off in a few days after the cable 'trains'.

Last edited:

Dwayne

Very clean work. It really makes me want to get some extensions or replacement cables for my next build.