What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed The Crippled God. Scratch Open Frame Build.

lowfat

Staff member
I've always planned on doing one more major watercooled case mod then moving on to a less time consuming hobby. I originally wanted to use my BNIB Tagan / A+ Black Pearl but as since I don't have a CNC to cut the aluminum properly I'll be doing a case from scratch. It will use aluminum extrusion plus 3d printed parts. After the case is doing I'll release all the source files if anyone else wants to build one. I'm designing all the plastic parts so that the majority of 3d printers can print them w/o issue.

For the first while I'll just be posting models/renders until I think the design is finished and will work. Should take a lot of the wild guess / trial & error work that went on on other builds I've done. :whistle:

I knew I wanted to use 180mm radiators. I have two 3x180mms and one 2x180mm but I think that one 3x180mm is enough for pretty much any hardware plus I'm able to keep the system slightly smaller this way. I couldn't find any models for 180mm radiators so I made one from scratch. One thing I should have thought of is how many objects the fins use, it absolutely cripples AutoDesk Fusion 360 when ever I touch the model. It looks good but I've crashed the app at least 50x when making it. :doh:

gu3M7m5.png

UPx4E2f.png

Next I started on the motherboard tray. I started w/ Santiago's design from GrabCAD and went to town making it useable and printable. I ended up making the tray in to 9 pieces that screw together.

ry1T2BF.png

Pic showing the jigsaw method I used to switch the tray together.

gtwmkoq.png

The backplate is split in to four pieces.

4n6da6u.png

After a few days I got the basic general design laid out. Still need to figure out lots of other stuff yet though.

3SqwEwY.png

1y1DAsf.png

Using the following models created by others:
Corsair RM750 PSU by Camo
Silverstone AP181 by Yang Ji
2020 Aluminum Extrusion by Jim Beam

lowfat

Staff member
Thanks.

Spent the last few days working on the cabling paths. I like how the 24-pin was done on one of the XForma prototypes (MDPC 44) LINK. So I'm going to try to space and offset the cables a bit to attempt a similar look. The bottom cables will be one colour, the top another.

This is what I've came up w/ after a few revisions.

1Zk6CBb.png

hR0qCls.png

Here is the cable management combs on the backside of the tray.

ggjEACQ.png

Added the additional models created by others:
EK-RES X3 by maskymus
Asus P6T SE MotherBoard by Anuwat
Nvidia GTX1080 by Kevin Yu

Lysrin

OK, I'll admit it. First time I looked at this post I didn't read, just looked at the pretty pictures. Today I read and realised you are designing and building it all! Very neat stuff lowfat. Excited to see how this one turns out.

lowfat

Staff member
The design looks really good... is that material easy to obtain?

The aluminum extrusion? You should be able to buy it in Vancouver. I'll probably buy mine from Spool3d.ca out of Calgary. They cut it to the lengths I need and don't charge extra for it. Probably about $50 for the aluminum plus shipping.

The t-nuts used to screw it together are harder to find. Not sure you can get them locally. I buy them from Aliexpress. But Spool3d sell them as well.

nasrott

Very cool Lowfat, is amazing what you can print with these 3d printers nowadays. Like the design, you can tweak what you want now instead of after you finish and then redo things, very nice.

sswilson

Staff member
Very cool Lowfat, is amazing what you can print with these 3d printers nowadays. Like the design, you can tweak what you want now instead of after you finish and then redo things, very nice.

C'mon.... lowfat would never change things around mid build..... :whistle:

Latest posts