What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed The Crippled God. Scratch Open Frame Build.

Jokester

looking great! the texture that the 3d printing process leaves works great for your case. is there a finishing process you are doing to the pieces after printing or is it mostly raw? looking forward to some photos of the overall case when you finish.

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
How did you plan the hole placement for the wires? eye balled it? cardboard mockup?
The PSU ones don't really matter. I wanted them offset from the connectors on the motherboard. But for the wires running underneath the motherboard I did measure.
looking great! the texture that the 3d printing process leaves works great for your case. is there a finishing process you are doing to the pieces after printing or is it mostly raw? looking forward to some photos of the overall case when you finish.

You can probably count my sanding time in days not hours. I sand w/ 80 grit over and over to eliminate most of the lines from 3d printing. Some of the edges of a part may not have been sanded as well if I could affect the fitment.

The 'front panel' USB-C, power button cable, and 3 x 180mm fan control wires run underneath the motherboard.
xMrLav2.jpg

And in to the little box behind the PSU.
x66N9qK.jpg

2N3axQT.jpg

Installed the board in the case so I can finish sleeving. My dead board I was using doesn't have the connections in the right place so it can't be used to finish sleeving. I decided to ditch my ol' Noctua NH-D14 w/ a B Quiet Black Rock Pro 4 as it looks cool.
ylSINZ6.jpg

And a rather big set back. Expansion cards don't fit lol. I'm going to have to pull everything out and sand where you screw in the cards at least a full mm. :(
UpAiWHk.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
So if I'm reading some of the older posts correctly... you print the parts but then you use epoxy + sanding when joining them to smooth them out? What infill / wall count are you using? (I'm curious because you appear to be able to do some sanding for fit which suggests either 100% infill or a fairly high wall count).

As always.... love your work!

lowfat

Staff member
So if I'm reading some of the older posts correctly... you print the parts but then you use epoxy + sanding when joining them to smooth them out? What infill / wall count are you using? (I'm curious because you appear to be able to do some sanding for fit which suggests either 100% infill or a fairly high wall count).

As always.... love your work!
2 walls @ 0.65mm each generally. The feet have 5 or so for strength. I don't use a lot of infill, generally 15%. You don't need to take off a lot of material when sanding, I'm only trying to remove the ridges. But sanding PLA is time consuming.

I used 'XTC-3D' 2 part resin to fill in holes, etc. It is supposedly meant for 3d printed parts. But honestly I hate that crap. It was a nightmare to use. I'm sure it actually caused me more sanding than it actually helped. Only way I could see it being ok is if you put it in a vacuum after mixing to remove all the bubbles. I ended up throwing out all my exterior panels because I got sick of sanding that crap. Ended up reprinting everything over except the motherboard tray.

Latest posts