What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Drawer Router - Powered by Intel Atom

BrainEater

k......I have more reading to do but I thought I'd share what I've found so far.

Here's an old thread from the PFSense forums :

Multilink PPP - (DSL Bonding) [Now $100USD]

I have not gone thru it entirely , but from what I've seen it's more than likely possible to getter werking .I've seen a couple workarounds for 'Deep-Packet-Inspection' but I wanna go through them before I post em.

Bell is being sued for this right now.

Funny Quote : "I guess Bell finally found thier manuals and are playing around with thier settings" :haha:

edit :

I understand now why you are trying to do it this way.
I'll keep reading.

Last edited:

S_G

Here's a pic to keep you inspired ; my PF rig :

That's a lotta NICs. Trade for an Intel Atom? :haha:

k......I have more reading to do but I thought I'd share what I've found so far.

Here's an old thread from the PFSense forums :

Multilink PPP - (DSL Bonding) [Now $100USD]

I have not gone thru it entirely , but from what I've seen it's more than likely possible to getter werking .I've seen a couple workarounds for 'Deep-Packet-Inspection' but I wanna go through them before I post em.

Bell is being sued for this right now.

Funny Quote : "I guess Bell finally found thier manuals and are playing around with thier settings" :haha:

edit :

I understand now why you are trying to do it this way.
I'll keep reading.
Yup, it's a PITA.

Ok.

Ethernet bonding/mlppp can in fact be done thru PFSense , but you'll need 3rd party plugins for PF , AFAIK.........

You can also do it with basically any Linux platform (smoothwall , etc )

Start here :

TSI: Gabe, others. MLPPP questions. - dslreports.com

and

DSL bonding - dslreports.com

--------

:thumb:
Those are two threads that I never came across. It'll be an interesting read, thanks!

BrainEater

You are very welcome.I'll keep digging too.

---------

As a side note , if you have access to a server thats on a big pipe , you can use tunneling software (vtun etc) to get your bandwidth as well.....

I will talk to my clanmate/server admin about it.He will know.

---------

If you need a network card I'll send you one for nothing , I've got a box of em.I assume you'll want an Intel proMT1000 ? ( I do have many others tho......) ((you'll have to wait till I'm back in Calgary .))

S_G

That's a little beyond my ability. Did some quick searching and apparently MLPPP on VTun is pretty easy to accomplish, but I wouldn't know how to use it or set it up. Hell, I'm just starting to learn the basics by building this router.

Thanks for the network card offer. Sadly though, the Intel Atom board only has 1 PCI slot, and it's already got an Intel PRO/1000 GT card in there. The only possible upgrades for me would be to switch to a multi-port PRO/1000 card, and those are really expensive. I hope the next version of the Atom sports a PCI-E slot instead. Even if it's just x1, that's almost twice the bandwidth of standard PCI.

BrainEater

hmm......well without going into a breakdown of all the features , the easy answer would be :

Security , and , adjustablity.

PFsense has the same set of features/abilities that really expensive commercial firewall/routers have.

S_G

And you forgot speed! Think about it this way. Think of the world's most popular consumer router, the WRT54G series; more specifically look at the WRT54GL. It has a 200MHz MIPS (RISC-based) CPU, and a whopping 16 MB of RAM and 4 MB of flash memory as storage. Here, I have 80GB as storage (although I did initially plan to use a 2GB CompactFlash card), 1GB of RAM, and 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU. This means I can let my router get thousands of connections, and it would still be fast enough to serve up routing statistics, graphs, handle QoS to throttle the right connections, firewall the bad ones, etc. The WRT54GL will start slowing ot a crawl beyond 1000 connections or so, simply because it runs out of memory.

The only benchmark to compare a MIPS processor I've seen was SPEC fp2000 and int2000. An 600MHz (3 times faster than WRT's) MIPS CPU scored 529 and 500 respectively, so one could assume about 176 and 166 if it scales linearly. A 1.5GHz Pentium 4 (slower than Atom at 1.5GHz) scored 558 and 536.

matsta31

Thanks, so basically, a consumer grade router does the job for me. I will never have needs this big.

I like building, tweaking so much I tough I had found something to build :)

BrainEater

Yep , speed too.

That's really just a by-product of not using consumer grade crap. :haha:

When it became time for me to actually run a router , my first one was a smoothwall rig......so I really hav'nt tried the 'basic wrt type router' myself , although I helped loadbalance two of them for free-LAN-internet once....

I made my current PFSense rig to run our lans.The cls||LANetwork has 35 full Gbit slots via 2x dell powerconnect 2724 semi-managed switches that are interconnected via a 4xCAT6 aggregate Gbit link.The PF router is capable of loadbalancing 4 separate WAN sources for internet.......

-------

As far as speed goes :

What you really mean is 'Latency'.
I've been setting up LAN networks for 10 years.....Even tho Our current network is awesome , It does'nt come close to our corebuilder network.About 8 years ago we started getting some corebuilder 2500's....We ended up setting up 2 of these switches interconnected via FDDI fiberoptic.Fiber runs to the servers...only 10 Mbit , but man , razor smooth 4 ping for gaming !
---------------

I havnt heard back regarding the vtun stuff , but I know we'll learn some stuff from my friend........

Latest posts

Twitter