What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Drawer Router - Powered by Intel Atom

BrainEater

Thanks, so basically, a consumer grade router does the job for me. I will never have needs this big.

I like building, tweaking so much I tough I had found something to build :)

You did.

You don't want average consumer crap do you ?

Time to build a router !

:thumb:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I made my current PFSense rig to run our lans.The cls||LANetwork has 35 full Gbit slots via 2x dell powerconnect 2724 semi-managed switches that are interconnected via a 4xCAT6 aggregate Gbit link.The PF router is capable of loadbalancing 4 separate WAN sources for internet.......
Ok. I understand this comment as much as my Chinese neighbour.

BrainEater

hehe...

Simple really.

My 2 Switches connect to each other with 4 fully syncronous Gbit lines.

The PF router allows me to Loadbalance 4 WAN ( Internet ) connections to provide seamless connection to tha intraweb.......

Build yer own router !

BrainEater

Noo....LAN connections are 35 ish........4 slots on each switch get eaten up by the switch-to-switch link , 1 for the PFSense router , 3-4 connections goto servers....

-----------

S_G

I think I need to go back to the current stable of pfSense, or maybe even just try out another OS completely, like vanilla FreeBSD or OpenBSD. That way, I can just follow one of those guides word-for-word. Gonna do it tonight, while I have a day off.

BrainEater

Yea , that might be a good plan.You'll learn a lot trying either way.It definitely seems easier in a pure os format (bsd,linux) but PFSense 1.3 is supposed to have some advances towards this newayz.

You also need to get the onboard nic going. you'll never saturate a 100 Mbit connection......trust me on this.I have 10 Mbit shaw , I could run 4x of these and still not fill a 100 Mbit pipe.

Imma see if I can find you a decent 2 slot NIC for cheep , or a riser version.....It's a much easier task with separate hardware layers...

S_G

You'd think so, but the cheaper cards suck. On my previous system, I was saturating my Marvell (ugh) onboard (ugh...) LAN at 100Mbps at 1500 MTU. That was with streaming a crazy-high-bitrate 1080p H.264 video while saturating my ADSL line. Having the PRO/1000 onboard on Skulltrail was an important factor in my choice, actually. Come to think of it, I think the lag may have been caused by the WRT54GL's poor performance. I don't think it can even properly handle dual-link PPP at 6Mbps without introducing additional latency, so that's another reason to get this box going.

BrainEater

Can I convince you to ditch the "atom" for the router ?

I've got several p3 chips waiting to do something ....got a p3 mobo that'll fit into that drawer ? heheh