What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

bradleyg5

Just got my hands on Skyrim last night.
As in Oblivion, Morrowind... a couple tweaks to the .ini file makes things look a lot better...

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini (make a copy before editing)

Change the following to 1:
bTreesReceiveShadows=0
bDrawLandShadows=0

There's lots to mess with in that file, but those two have a noticible impact on the visuals.

Also, if you have an nvidia card you can enable AO with nvidia inspector.

Ambient Occlusion Compatibility - default "0x0000000", change to "0x00000003 (Fallout 3)
Ambient Occlusion setting - default "Off", change to "Quality"
Ambient Occlusion usage - default "Disabled", change to "Enabled"

:thumb:
I don't understand the AO with nvidia inspector, where do I put that? Nvidia inspector appears to just be GPUZ with an overclocking tool

somecanadianguy

Sorry for leaving that part out...

Here's some other .ini tweaks I'm using:

[Display]
iMultiSample=4
iMaxAnisotropy=16
bTransparencyMultisampling=1
iWaterMultiSamples=3
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=2

[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1

[Particles]
iMaxDesired=900

Still messing around with the .ini, but so far the game looks way better than it did when I first installed.
Now if they'd just release the construction set I'd be really happy...

Last edited:

bradleyg5

Just did all that. Looks awesome :shok: the shadows are weird when you inspect them on the characters, but when everything is in motion running around the world it looks amazing.

Sagath

Staff member
Apparently if your game crashes its nVidia sound issues, somehow. If you set your sound to 24 bit 48kHz via windows it should fix it...

BrianHanna

i was crashing pretty frequently, but then i installed a mod that allowed the game to use more than 2gb of ram, no more crashes at all.

somecanadianguy

Just did all that. Looks awesome :shok: the shadows are weird when you inspect them on the characters, but when everything is in motion running around the world it looks amazing.
:thumb:

Not sure about the weird shadows on characters. Mine seem to look ok, but maybe I just have to look closer. I do get some issues with terrain shadows, but don't know if it's from the tweaks or not as I haven't bothered to check the same areas with default .ini file. Did you set AO to 'Quality'? Maybe try 'High Quality'.

*edit*
I forgot about these...

iShadowFilter=4
fShadowLODStartFade=1000.0000

I was about to post the same thing. I haven't done it yet, but it worked ok with Oblivion.

Last edited:

ipaine

Hey anyone that has done the more than 2GB memory tweak, can you let me know how much memory it is using now that you have done it?

I ask because I used a difference memory mod (same idea, just different way of getting there) and according to task manager it was only using just under 1GB for me.