What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

somecanadianguy

I figured out how to get rid of my custom key mapped mouse, I went directly into where the game is installed and spotted thisControlMap_Custom.txt so I renamed it by adding bu to the .txt part and now everything is back to normal.

Oh yeah :doh:.
Saw that there and should have known.
Glad you figured it out.
You can just delete that file and another will be created whenever you change any keys.

Last edited:

ADay2Long

God this game keeps crashing ... I check and the game never uses more than 1GB of ram ... tried the sound thing, doesn't help also. anyone else gets weird textures sometimes, and they become all blue or white?

Hope a patch is coming out soon, I love the game but the constant crashing to desktop, especially when you are about to finish off a dragon is very annoying. F5 is your friend!

Maybe I'll wait for the patch and focus on my finals coming up :whistle:

Varroa

Patch went out today that adds DRM to the exe file.

Looks like Besthesda released a Skyrim patch today that adds DRM (can no longer launch the game without steam running) and also blocks most of the custom mods people have done:

Concerning the small patch through Steam today: - Bethesda Softworks Forums - Page 11
Skyrim patch downloading right NOW (pc) - The Nexus Forums

Specifically it blocks the LAA mod (using > 2GB ram) that helped most people with the crash to desktop problem.

NCIX FORUMS - Skyrim new LAA workaround.

Here is the work around:

New LAA 4GB Launcher - Bethesda Softworks Forums

Jebusman

Patch went out today that adds DRM to the exe file.

Looks like Besthesda released a Skyrim patch today that adds DRM (can no longer launch the game without steam running) and also blocks most of the custom mods people have done:

Concerning the small patch through Steam today: - Bethesda Softworks Forums - Page 11
Skyrim patch downloading right NOW (pc) - The Nexus Forums

Specifically it blocks the LAA mod (using > 2GB ram) that helped most people with the crash to desktop problem.

NCIX FORUMS - Skyrim new LAA workaround.

Here is the work around:

New LAA 4GB Launcher - Bethesda Softworks Forums

Wait, so they released a patch who's sole purpose was to enforce the Steam DRM, but it killed the LAA mod that was helping a lot of people play without crashing?

They actually released a patch that made the game less playable.

Bravo Bethesda, you have taken your infamy for buggy games to a whole new low.

Edit: Most people are saying it was Valve that took the initiative and not Bethesda for this DRM enforcing patch. Well, I'll believe them. For now.

Nexitus

Wasn't the purpose of using LAA to allow for high res texture packs? It shouldn't have really broken anything else, and besides, someone came out with that LAA workaround in a few hours (if you were actively checking for it).

somecanadianguy

Is anyone having problems after this 'update'?
A lot of people are unhappy about it as it messes up more than the LAA fix.
I don't have steam online so it didn't get me, and I won't do this update ever because I refuse to have steam running while I'm playing a game... maybe an online game, but definately not an offline single-player game. I'd rather use a pirated copy!
If you have a backup of your old .exe you can use that for now instead of this 'updated' one.

ipaine

Hmmmm, maybe this will explain why all of a sudden last night I started to experience some severe crashing. I mean I was trying to fast travel to Riften to drop some stuff off at my home and every time I tried to go there I got a straight to desktop crash. I ended up fast traveling to the thieves guild then walking to my house cause at least that worked. But really I had never had any type of crash except when alt-tabbing, this was the first time that I have had real issues like this. Also I never really noticed if it downloaded a patch, but it would make sense as to why I started to get issues when I had none before.

somecanadianguy

Have you got a backup of the original .exe?
If so, apparently you can start the game with it still.
That will likely cause problems later when their real update patch comes out though.

The workaround for using the LAA fix on the 'updated' version...

4GB Skyrim at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community

I haven't tried it, and I may not bother as I was not affected by this 'update'.
Might help with some of your issues though.

Also, if you've been tweaking the .ini files this 'update' forces the game to run through steam using the launcher and resets many .ini settings.
Try setting the .ini files to read-only and see if that helps keep your changes.

I'm not impressed with this move at all.
Bethesda and Valve are to blame... not one or the other.
What's the point even?
Does it hurt pirates? NO!
Does it stop pirates? NO!
Does it make pirates happy to be pirates? YES!!! cause they don't have to deal with this shit.

Oh, and if you're wondering whether or not your game was 'updated'... if you had steam running and online then, according to everything I've read, YES your game was 'updated'.
Even if you had steam set to not auto-update.

Last edited:

Desiato

They say its new, but its just a modified Gamebryo engine. Which I think is pritty clear from a gameplay/mechanics POV. Saying its 'new' or calling it the 'Creation' Engine is just (as Squeetard said) a sales tactic.

This is the best writeup Ive seen about the 'new' engine:

Bethesda details TESV: Skyrim’s new Creation Engine and its awesome power | Wouldyoukindly.com

It's really just semantics. I doubt many engines are built anywhere near from scratch. What constitutes a new engine is arbitrary. In my opinion, the engine seems to have enough new features for them to call it a new engine if they like.

Latest posts