What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Although my point may have missed the mark, or skipped over some of your heads, I was trying to get at the fact that this game should have been released with proper current generation graphics. Dumbed down console-to-pc ports are not acceptable in my opinion regardless of the trends. Sorry for the confusion.

ipaine

Although my point may have missed the mark, or skipped over some of your heads, I was trying to get at the fact that this game should have been released with proper current generation graphics. Dumbed down console-to-pc ports are not acceptable in my opinion regardless of the trends. Sorry for the confusion.

That is exactly how I feel. Imagine how this could be with current generation graphics. I know that the chances are low, but I for one would really love to see a DX11 patch.

Arinoth

Staff member
This isn't the same Gamebryo engine as was used in Morrowind and Oblivion.

I am sure once we start seeing good high resolution textures from the modding community it will pretty snazzy.

The thing is, this should be available from Bethesda, not requiring third party to make the game look how it should have when it launched for pc. That's my biggest gripe with the game, is the fact the graphics may look good, but its not current gen PC graphics when it should be.

Desiato

I don't think it's fair to even call it a port. The PC version looks half a generation ahead of the console versions and appears to be relatively well-optimized. I believe its appearance is biased towards faster systems while remaining playable on mainstream hardware. When I say faster systems, I don't mean on enthusiast sites like this. The true average PC gamer may still on a C2D because the economy has sucked for three years.

I've been a PC gamer on and off for over 20 years, and as far as I can remember, this has usually been the case. Not many games of its time properly supported the 80386.

The thing is, this should be available from Bethesda, not requiring third party to make the game look how it should have when it launched for pc. That's my biggest gripe with the game, is the fact the graphics may look good, but its not current gen PC graphics when it should be.

Content costs a lot to create, deliver, test and support. Based on Steam stats, it seems the content was right-sized to the hardware most gamers are using. If anything, it's probably a bit slow for most PC gamers. On my i7 920/GTX 460, I have absolutely no desire to improve the appearance of the game at the cost of performance.

Last edited:

bradleyg5

I dunno, with the Shadows cranked up in the preference file I'm already at 45ish FPS with my two OCed GTX 460s. DX11 will just make me sad :(

Inate8

It's not a trend. Making money has been something that people like to do since the dawn of currency in society. That's not going anywhere.

Right now the reality of the matter is that releasing a complete product on the 360 alone is more profitable than doing so on the PC alone.

I agree, I wish it had some better gfx at times. You know what though, the game's art and general design is ******* beautiful. If you stare at a spot you'll notice the low res textures soon enough, but if you move slowly through the world you'll soon forget specific textures and take everything in as a whole.

Not saying I disagree with you, but I understand these companies need to make money as well. Without money we don't get any new fun things to do.

I personally love the direction that Beth is going with their games now. Skyrim is leaps and bounds ahead of the past iterations of their vision. I can't wait to see the next game.

Latest posts