What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
It's not a trend. Making money has been something that people like to do since the dawn of currency in society. That's not going anywhere.

Right now the reality of the matter is that releasing a complete product on the 360 alone is more profitable than doing so on the PC alone.

I agree, I wish it had some better gfx at times. You know what though, the game's art and general design is ******* beautiful. If you stare at a spot you'll notice the low res textures soon enough, but if you move slowly through the world you'll soon forget specific textures and take everything in as a whole.

Not saying I disagree with you, but I understand these companies need to make money as well. Without money we don't get any new fun things to do.

I personally love the direction that Beth is going with their games now. Skyrim is leaps and bounds ahead of the past iterations of their vision. I can't wait to see the next game.

You're right, and thus my point about the 'trends'. The trend, as you eloquently stated, is that making money by releasing an inferior product outweighs the advantages of pushing the boundaries and releasing a superior product.

As I said, the game IS amazing, however, in my opinion this game could have been released absolutely stunningly mindblowing with some high res graphics that probably wouldnt of even taken that much time given the resources available at Beth.

Inate8

You're right, and thus my point about the 'trends'. The trend, as you eloquently stated, is that making money by releasing an inferior product outweighs the advantages of pushing the boundaries and releasing a superior product.

As I said, the game IS amazing, however, in my opinion this game could have been released absolutely stunningly mindblowing with some high res graphics that probably wouldnt of even taken that much time given the resources available at Beth.

http://i.imgur.com/UnZzH.jpg

I still can't get over the water.

They are developing for the "main" platforms now because it's much more friendly(programming wise it's akin to PC work) to do so than it has been in the past, and also more profitable. They are pushing the boundary's of consoles with these games. Sure the PC crowd "suffers" but the games are still some of the best looking out there right now.

I see the people playing it on 360 as having an "inferior product" since every SS I see from them is horrible compared to how it looks maxed/tweaker on my PC. Could it look better? Yup, and it will in time(takes community!). What you see now is more or less the extend of what the 360/PS3 can do.

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Cant wait to see what DX11 does to that scene, Inate8.

And you are right, as I said before, that the 360 is inferior to a high end system. I still dont see Bethseda having a valid reason for failing to release HQ textures for PC players tho. :(

Arinoth

Staff member
Cant wait to see what DX11 does to that scene, Inate8.

And you are right, as I said before, that the 360 is inferior to a high end system. I still dont see Bethseda having a valid reason for failing to release HQ textures for PC players tho. :(

And that's my whole gripe with Skyrim summed up there.

Desiato

It's one thing to be disappointed that Skyrim doesn't support the latest and greatest PC hardware, but another to dismiss it as a port.

My opinion is that Skyrim is much better on the PC because of the Xbox and PS3. Combined, this large userbase enables a *much* larger budget than would have been allowed or gambled on for the PC market alone.

I don't see the PC version limited by consoles. I see the PC version limited by the PC gaming market. The companies having success in this market are releasing games with very moderate requirements -- Valve and Blizzard, for example.

Enabling new and advanced features to take advantage of more powerful hardware isn't as easy as it sounds. You can't just tack these features on; they need to be planned and engineered from the start. Beyond planning, coders and artists need to learn and develop new tools; this learning curve comes at a great cost in terms of time, money, and false starts.

I really hate to sound like such an apologist, but I think Bethesda released a great PC game that stands on its own. Again, I understand disappointment -- even if I think it's unrealistic -- but not to the point of criticism. It's like someone with a Veyron complaining they can't drive 200MPH everywhere they go. Yeah, you can own a 200MPH car, but don't expect to be able to do much with it.

somecanadianguy

Graphics in the game could have been hugely improved for the pc gamers.
A bigger issue for me is the amount of bugs... way too many.
Didn't anyone playtest the damn game before they put it out?
I've got 3 quests right now that cannot be completed (without console commands), and tons of other people are reporting broken quests.
Bethesda should not have stuck to that 11/11/11 release date.

keto

It's one thing to be disappointed that Skyrim doesn't support the latest and greatest PC hardware, but another to dismiss it as a port.

My opinion is that Skyrim is much better on the PC because of the Xbox and PS3. Combined, this large userbase enables a *much* larger budget than would have been allowed or gambled on for the PC market alone.

I don't see the PC version limited by consoles. I see the PC version limited by the PC gaming market. The companies having success in this market are releasing games with very moderate requirements -- Valve and Blizzard, for example.

Enabling new and advanced features to take advantage of more powerful hardware isn't as easy as it sounds. You can't just tack these features on; they need to be planned and engineered from the start. Beyond planning, coders and artists need to learn and develop new tools; this learning curve comes at a great cost in terms of time, money, and false starts.

I really hate to sound like such an apologist, but I think Bethesda released a great PC game that stands on its own. Again, I understand disappointment -- even if I think it's unrealistic -- but not to the point of criticism. It's like someone with a Veyron complaining they can't drive 200MPH everywhere they go. Yeah, you can own a 200MPH car, but don't expect to be able to do much with it.

I'm with you 100% on this. I'm playing at Ultra/1080, able to mod simple things like POV from my desktop, etc etc, and it looks great....at the same time, my boys have it for XBox and I watch them play a bit - IT'S TOTAL CRAP small resolution, pixellated. If you haven't seen both, you have no idea how good you have it. Could it be better? EVERYTHING can be made better ultimately...shaddap and play :D

Heck yes, it has issues...that's why they issue patches, what major game has gone unpatched? I have 2 toons in the 30's levels (2H VikingHulkSmash and a sneak thief), it sure hasn't stopped me from playing! Best game I've played in years, well ahead of the Fallouts which I also love.

ipaine

The thing is there is no reason for them or any company that is releasing a multi-platform game to not build it for the highest end system and then scale it down for the lower ones. This would allow everyone regardless of platform to enjoy the best possible experience available to that platform. Instead they are building for the low end and then essentially relying on the community to redo all the textures in the game to make it what it should have been.

And yes, I know it looks good, very good. What I think I wanted to see, was the shear level of detail that I saw in Witcher 2, with the expansive environment that Skyrim is providing. Just my 2 cents.

Pabz0r545

I'm so torn to buy this game or not. I hear so many good things lots of people say it's great but then i read stuff like all the above here on the web. Old generation graphics sounds pretty disappointing to dish out a bunch of money for a new game. Maybe I'll wait till the price goes down which seems to happen pretty fast these days.

Inate8

I'm so torn to buy this game or not. I hear so many good things lots of people say it's great but then i read stuff like all the above here on the web. Old generation graphics sounds pretty disappointing to dish out a bunch of money for a new game. Maybe I'll wait till the price goes down which seems to happen pretty fast these days.

Did you look at the link I posted above? Here you go: http://i.imgur.com/UnZzH.jpg

That's what it looks like on Ultra. It's not "old generation" graphics. In fact with a simple texture mod(community forth coming) it will be looking far better than BF3, imo.

GFX wise, the game isn't lacking anything, BUT it could be improved upon(and it will be). Gameplay wise it's a lot of fun, with some jarring bugs here and there.

Graphics in the game could have been hugely improved for the pc gamers.
A bigger issue for me is the amount of bugs... way too many.
Didn't anyone playtest the damn game before they put it out?
I've got 3 quests right now that cannot be completed (without console commands), and tons of other people are reporting broken quests.
Bethesda should not have stuck to that 11/11/11 release date.

I've been playing the game more or less "as intended" I've only run into one buggy quest(guy wouldn't spawn inside the cell since I still had my companion), and the odd funny glitches(physic type things). Nothing too jarring. Ohh, my GF ran into a lovely bug with Aludin(sp?) when she first encountered him. She got scared and fast traveled away, forever looping the windy thunder sound from the encounter. Funny, annoying, but easy to fix.

Latest posts