What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

On2wheels

Just grabbed this on sale, I'm astounded at the content they crammed into a 5700mb download, sure runs nice though. My questions are:
1. do weapons degrade over usage and can they be repaired? how? what's the easiest way? (I know about recharging certain ones with souls, but that's it).
2. do the mods you guys talk about disturb the game's updating or anything detrimental to how achievements work?

that's it for now but I may have more.
Sounds good Ted.

Chromey

I think All weapons can be upgraded, Youll need to learn the perk On get a blacksmith to do it for you.

The weapons do not degrade and brake in Skyrim.

As far as Mods, You will need to do the reasearch on them.
Im only running a few texture mods, ANd have no issues ever.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm not sure what you're running for hardware, but IIRC the third party high texture mod is a lot easier on the GPU. The official one put quite a beating on my SLI'd 560ti cards (still able to max settings, but was running a lot closer to 100% GPU for vsync than the third party one).

On2wheels

I'm not sure what you're running for hardware, but IIRC the third party high texture mod is a lot easier on the GPU. The official one put quite a beating on my SLI'd 560ti cards (still able to max settings, but was running a lot closer to 100% GPU for vsync than the third party one).

Interesting. I'm running a single 560Ti 1gb. I don't find the 'factory' textures all that bad, but no doubt we all thought that at first sight of it. Runs very well, but I don't have any numbers to compare, and my cpu bottlenecks anyway so I dont get close to maxing out. I'll check gpu use and temps on friday, and try to read this thread for mods. Unless you can link me right to it.

On2wheels

I found a few mods in the Steam Workshop, that's a handy thing for sure. But I'm cautious which one's I try.

And I'm a bit confused: does the story from Oblivion matter in Skyrim? Is there anything I should have seen in Oblivion before starting Skyrim? I have Oblivion but haven't played in years, in fact I didn't enjoy it that much, and probably rushed through it. Now I'm wondering what was important, if anything. I found this The Elder Scrolls - The Elder Scrolls Wiki

I'm still trying to get my head around spells and such, I'm already level 18, but haven't used many spells, maybe none at all, just playing it easy and grabbing every quest I come across. In fact I couldn't even cast a spell last time I tried, it was like the keybind was missing or something...not sure what I did wrong...have to check it again on friday.

Lastly, is the Skyrim storyline different for each race you can pick from the beginning of the game? That's alot of potential gameplay.

Last edited:

YukonTrooper

The Elder Scrolls stories don't really merge into each other. They're self-contained games, really.

ipaine

The Elder Scrolls stories don't really merge into each other. They're self-contained games, really.

While that is true there are references to past games. I know that Skyrim takes place a couple hundred years after Oblivion. So if you have played Oblivion you might recognize some names and groups that are mostly legend now, but no there is nothing crucial from Oblivion that you need to know.

Latest posts