What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

lowfat

Staff member
CK?

Is there an easy peasy tutorial for installing one or two mods?

Nexus Mod Manager is crazy easy to use.

Down and install it. Run it. It scans for all games it supports. Go to Nexus. Find whatever mod. Click the download by NMM button. It pops up in NMM. Downloads it. Right click the mod in the list and activate.

I have no idea what CK is either.

Last edited:
G

skyrim se creation kit

CK?

NMM is the goto for mods, integrates with , LOOT, Bodyslide, FNIS, ect
LOOT is for load order, bodyslide is character creation, FNIS is fores new Idle system.

EDIT:

Skyrim Ultimate Modding Guide - Graphics at Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

Here is good guide on modding Skyrim, this is NOT the SE.
He has a few other guides on gameplay,ect IIRC

Tons of good info there that should be ported over to the SE, Mods may change but still good info on modding Skyrim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lysrin

CK?

I believe CK = Creation Kit. That is for people who actually create mods. Getting starting installing mods is pretty easy, although make sure you get ones for SE now if that is what your playing. I use NexusModManager (NMM) and the NexusMods site (Nexus mods and community). ou get NMM from NexusMods site. A lot of the mods (most) will have a Download (Manual) option and a Download (NMM) option. If you have NMM installed and select the second option it is all pretty much automatic. And if you only use a few mods you don't have to give much thought to incompatibilities or conflicts. Of course if you are only doing a few you can skip NMM and install manually but personally I think NMM is worth it.

Tutorial videos got me started. Something like this one isn't too bad: https://youtu.be/bJXBzczK0BU

Then once you have the basics you can just monkey around. Warning though: it can get addictive and you can spend more time modding than playing! :haha:

:ph34r: by Supergrover!! I'll leave this here anyway in case it helps.

FreeKnight

For anyone looking to get started with Mods, one of the best sites (and lists) that still keep it feeling 'Skyrim-y' is the "Skyrim Total Enhancement Project"

STEP:2.2.9.2 - S.T.E.P. Project Wiki

It gives a great explanation on what to change, settings to tweak, etc. It hasn't been updated for the SE yet but it's a great resource and a new version is in the works. My last build was reasonably STEP'ish though theres a lot from the list I prune and I use a lot more equipment and weapons that I merge into a smaller number of plugins.

lowfat

Staff member

Lysrin

Couple quick comments from poking around in SE a little. Although the consensus is it won't work I did get my modded save to load and it didn't crash at least in a short play session. However as would be expected all the modded stuff is missing so armours were missing, etc. So, the consensus is right, it doesn't really work, and not an option to play my current game in SE until the mods are released for it. Oddly enough some web searching says that even if you clear the mods and resave and then bring to SE it still won't work. I don't understand that one. Haven't tried it yet myself just because cleaning up all the mods is no small task either.

As I said before, I am so happy with how the game looks and runs in my current original modded state that I won't be switching to SE likely until the majority of the mods I use are ported and I can move over my save. The SE version looks good and I do like the extended view distance (have never played with those mods in any serious way), but there are these little mods I use that without them the game feels just a bit less. Little things like scaling my character in the world to be the actual height he should be. So instead of Lydia (one of the companions) and I looking eye to eye, I'm the tall guy I envisioned my character to be. There are more but that one stuck out as I have become so used to how everything looks through the characters eyes at that height that I was confused as to what I was seeing when I loaded up SE and Lydia seemed to be a giant Amazonian! That would be fine in another story but I digress... :whistle: Some of the mods I like may be out already for SE and at some point I'll do an inventory of what I use and what is out, but I don't want to spend time on that right now.

But the other big thing that is annoying (and I believe was mentioned) is that they didn't support ultrawide res! I mean if people on the Internet can figure out going into an ini file and finding a kludge to make it work (sort of) surely Bethesda could have put a few people on it and supported ultrawide and could have done an ultrawide UI, again that modders are already having some success with. I think that really should have been a given in 2016 and they dropped the ball there big time. For now the original version works great for me with Flawless Widescreen and I don't have to mess with it.

So as the modding community gets all their stuff (especially SKSE and SkyUI) ported over to SE I'll have another look but for now I am quite content in the modded original.

FreeKnight

Couple quick comments from poking around in SE a little. Although the consensus is it won't work I did get my modded save to load and it didn't crash at least in a short play session. However as would be expected all the modded stuff is missing so armours were missing, etc. So, the consensus is right, it doesn't really work, and not an option to play my current game in SE until the mods are released for it. Oddly enough some web searching says that even if you clear the mods and resave and then bring to SE it still won't work. I don't understand that one. Haven't tried it yet myself just because cleaning up all the mods is no small task either.

As I said before, I am so happy with how the game looks and runs in my current original modded state that I won't be switching to SE likely until the majority of the mods I use are ported and I can move over my save. The SE version looks good and I do like the extended view distance (have never played with those mods in any serious way), but there are these little mods I use that without them the game feels just a bit less. Little things like scaling my character in the world to be the actual height he should be. So instead of Lydia (one of the companions) and I looking eye to eye, I'm the tall guy I envisioned my character to be. There are more but that one stuck out as I have become so used to how everything looks through the characters eyes at that height that I was confused as to what I was seeing when I loaded up SE and Lydia seemed to be a giant Amazonian! That would be fine in another story but I digress... :whistle: Some of the mods I like may be out already for SE and at some point I'll do an inventory of what I use and what is out, but I don't want to spend time on that right now.

But the other big thing that is annoying (and I believe was mentioned) is that they didn't support ultrawide res! I mean if people on the Internet can figure out going into an ini file and finding a kludge to make it work (sort of) surely Bethesda could have put a few people on it and supported ultrawide and could have done an ultrawide UI, again that modders are already having some success with. I think that really should have been a given in 2016 and they dropped the ball there big time. For now the original version works great for me with Flawless Widescreen and I don't have to mess with it.

So as the modding community gets all their stuff (especially SKSE and SkyUI) ported over to SE I'll have another look but for now I am quite content in the modded original.

It's probaly still a crapshoot, but have you tried using the skyrim save cleaner then loading your save in SE. For your best results, usually go to an indoor space; unmodded, or lightly modded area. Unequip, rest and hardsave (not quick or auto) and then run the cleaner on it. I've had surprising success in the past.

SKYRIM Save Cleaner at Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

I've really wanted to start working on a 'Record of Lodoss War' mod pulling content from the old OVAs, once I'm done this megaproject at work, I might look at starting to stab it together. Maybe try starting with gear and companion mods before moving forward. I had a bunch of notes and sketches tucked in my desk somewhere....

Lysrin

It's probaly still a crapshoot, but have you tried using the skyrim save cleaner then loading your save in SE. For your best results, usually go to an indoor space; unmodded, or lightly modded area. Unequip, rest and hardsave (not quick or auto) and then run the cleaner on it. I've had surprising success in the past.

SKYRIM Save Cleaner at Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

I've really wanted to start working on a 'Record of Lodoss War' mod pulling content from the old OVAs, once I'm done this megaproject at work, I might look at starting to stab it together. Maybe try starting with gear and companion mods before moving forward. I had a bunch of notes and sketches tucked in my desk somewhere....

No I haven't tried that FreeKnight. Thanks for linking that. When I have a chance I'll check it out, or when I see that more of the mods I want are showing up on SE and I want to try and bring a save game over. Worth a shot when the time comes!

Lysrin

Mod cleaning?

I never did copy saved games over the SE. Decided that I liked the game enough to start again so I did a while back. Left it again (as I often do with Skyrim) and now it has sucked me back in for some more Skyrim playtime! :biggrin:

I have less mods installed on SE than I did the original, about 65 right now I would say, but I was wondering about whether or not any of you clean mods?

What I mean by that is I use Nexus Mod Manager to get the mods and LOOT to manage the load order and conflicts. LOOT will frequently report that a mod has issues: dirty entries, other problems, etc. and links to a cleaning guide. Cleaning doesn't look hard but is a bit involved for sure.

I've never cleaned a mod in original or SE, and seem to have no issues as long as I manage the load order and the incompatibilities. Have I just been lucky? Do you guys clean the mods to get rid of the issues identified in LOOT?

Latest posts