What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

the GPU companies have been cheating us all along!

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I just realized the PC gaming is like a cult.
We want to play the latest and greatest games together and have fun, with cool Graphics. Every new generation needs more and more fancy hardware..
What if the game companies and the hardware companies had an unwritten agreement?
"Keep making more and more demanding games instead of optimizing the current stuff, and we'll keep making hardware for it that promotes you more."

Funny theory for y'all. But it would explain all the "buy this X hardware and get a free Y game" stuff.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Skyrim is ancient, but with modding looks just as good as current games. But it runs in muuuuuccch slower/older hardware with ease. And stays smooth.

Makes you think, right?

sswilson

Staff member
Skyrim is ancient, but with modding looks just as good as current games. But it runs in muuuuuccch slower/older hardware with ease. And stays smooth.

Makes you think, right?

In fairness, I think a big part of that is the length of time the after market modders can take in order to make their code efficient. Game devs just don't have that kind of time and/or resources to spend on tweaking efficiencies.

This isn't anywhere near a new thing either.... when I think back to how much quality programming came out of our early PCs, I marvel at how they managed to get all that done with the low processing power, memory, and/or storage options they had. It boggles the mind.

The industry has long depended on technological advances to brute force new features as opposed to having more efficient code. (I'm prepared to be skewered for this viewpoint by our friends in the business, but that's the way it's seemed to me for (a) decade(s).

lowfat

Staff member
Runs on older hardware because its an 18 year+ old engine :ROFLMAO:.

IMO Skyrims engine is straight up garbage. Bugs that have been w/ the engine in Morrowind still exist. Its completely single threaded. Running above 60FPS and physics breaks. The engine can look great w/ mods, it sure don't run great tho.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
So it's not a perfect example, but it's not the only example.

Also, for a game like Skyrim, single player slowish rpg, 60fps and absolutely gorgeous visuals is plenty.

FreeKnight

Runs on older hardware because its an 18 year+ old engine :ROFLMAO:.

IMO Skyrims engine is straight up garbage. Bugs that have been w/ the engine in Morrowind still exist. Its completely single threaded. Running above 60FPS and physics breaks. The engine can look great w/ mods, it sure don't run great tho.
This guy gets it (y)

I love Skyrim to pieces, but Bethesda started getting lazy and it shows. Sure it's the 'Creation Engine' now and Howard says 'Oh it's not the same engine we updated it' but it has issues that crept up as far back as Oblivion and Morrowind. What's really saved the game was Bethesda's approach to modding. If they were as locked down as the average Unreal engine game we just wouldn't be talking about Skyrim anymore.

They desperately need a new producer, Howard's just gotten stale. They deserve credit for what they've accomplished, and given the sheer variety of things you can do in a Bethesda game, some buginess is expected, but they've just seemed like they've been getting worse and less passionate for their product. Coupled with their new monetization approach with F76, I just don't have a lot of faith.

Between Bethesda, Square Enix and Bioware all my former RPG staples have really taken a turn for the worse. At least there's still hope for CDPR (for now)

/total derail of topic

Edit: Autocorrections :S

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

most games are really badly lazy coding I remember elder scrolls when it came out it was amazing when looking at the water you could actually see the reflections back then well I never seen anything so clear now days the coding is so lazy and allot of times its crap .
the game sizes are huge I think this is mostly because of the Movie clips and again lazy coding putting allot of crap that isn't even used its brackets out so it isn't on . I prefer games that actually have a story to them not just slash or shoot kill next shoot kill there are a few games that allot of people love are always the same slightly different back ground like Far cry what a waste great graphics at times but it is the same thing after a few minutes of playing its like they copied pasted and changed very little. I loved the old dragon age series though .
I have always had the theory that gaming industry like hardware and software were in cahoots with each other. i have seen some really nice gaming systems compared to my system but when I am gaming I allot of times cant stop and smell the roses or I will die so having top of the line graphics isnt essential for me and like I mentioned I have seen allot better gaming systems w and people playing the same game as me and to be honest I think that the money the spent of a card and other hardware was a waste just few more FPS that most of the time you dont even notice. but on the other hand if you are a pro gamer in competition thats a little bit different but in general allot of it is a waste of money that could be better spent wow I think my age is showing hehe

clshades

I think what Shadow posted hits it squarely on the head. The work around for lazy shitty coding is 4,000 dollars worth of rendering power.

I remember when a few of us were building quake 3 maps. If there were any holes in the map building process the fps would drop significantly. Better coding and less holes would drop our rendering prices to a manageable hole in my wallet.

I can't justify a 3-4 thousand dollar gaming rig to my family anymore. As it is, I'm trying to build a reliable under $2,000 - 4k movie editing rig.