What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Happy thread!

Lpfan4ever

Come on LP, join the dark side!
In the price range I had, my main goals were to have rear quarter panels that weren't 90% rust...surprisingly difficult around here. I was open to a manual, hell I almost bought a '00 Si Coupe 5MT the day I got knocked off the Trans Canada.

Usually when you change spark plugs on a car you just bought you change the air filter as well, you have no idea how negligent some people can be. Doing that on my Accord lowerd the engine rpm by 10% for the same speeds. Man I loved that car, 1992 Accord LX, spartan and sporty.
We took at a look at it when I was inspecting it. The air filter is pretty new, but it's a cheapo FRAM. Rock Auto didn't have any filters, besides the sketchy no name ones, stocked in the same warehouse as all my bulbs and the fuel filter. It'll have to get done with my next order.

Last edited:

Keltron 3030

In the price range I had, my main goals were to have rear quarter panels that weren't 90% rust...surprisingly difficult around here. I was open to a manual, hell I almost bought a '00 Si Coupe 5MT the day I got knocked off the Trans Canada.
A) I'm surprised you guys' cars are plagued by rust. I thought you didn't use salt on the roads?

B) You kinda dodged a bullet with that Civic. You would of wanted an SiR for that year to get true VTEC goodness

C) Ssssshhhhhheeeeeeeiiiiiiiiitttttt mags, glad your alive at least :haha:

Lpfan4ever

A) I'm surprised you guys' cars are plagued by rust. I thought you didn't use salt on the roads?

B) You kinda dodged a bullet with that Civic. You would of wanted an SiR for that year to get true VTEC goodness

C) Ssssshhhhhheeeeeeeiiiiiiiiitttttt mags, glad your alive at least :haha:
See the thing is that in Ontario and the likes you're guaranteed that shit will rust out and people will try to combat it. Here people just seem to assume that they don't have to do anything about it. Problem is Calgary uses a "pickle" during most of the winter season, until it hits below something like -15C, which means gravel dings AND salt rust.

Since these cars in particular have a rubber seal over the edge of the rear fender that rolls into the wheel well, they just accumulate shit and rust out the quarters. I pulled mine yesterday, sanded out the rust, and coated the edges and the rubber cover with Rust Check. The body in front of my passenger side wheel well has vanished so I might cut the rest of that chunk out and bondo over it before it gets any worse. Also the bottom of the doors are pretty rough but I did the same thing. Hopefully I can get a few more years out of it before it goes the same way my Civic did.

Soultribunal

Staff member
See the thing is that in Ontario and the likes you're guaranteed that shit will rust out and people will try to combat it. Here people just seem to assume that they don't have to do anything about it. Problem is Calgary uses a "pickle" during most of the winter season, until it hits below something like -15C, which means gravel dings AND salt rust.

Since these cars in particular have a rubber seal over the edge of the rear fender that rolls into the wheel well, they just accumulate shit and rust out the quarters. I pulled mine yesterday, sanded out the rust, and coated the edges and the rubber cover with Rust Check. The body in front of my passenger side wheel well has vanished so I might cut the rest of that chunk out and bondo over it before it gets any worse. Also the bottom of the doors are pretty rough but I did the same thing. Hopefully I can get a few more years out of it before it goes the same way my Civic did.
That year and gen were prone to it a lot in that spot. Sometimes you might get lucky and get one that is not rusting all to hell, but that is few and far between given the age of the car.
My 92 went that way in a hurry on the quarters, much like my ZX2 went that way on the rockers.
Some spots on the older cars really like to rust out.

Not that I trust the install 100% but I did get a rust module on mine, because the science is sound'ish.
Looking to get 15 out of the Focus (unless I win the lottery) so to me it was a good $950 spent.

The car will rot out around you at least before the engine or tranny goes.
Plus, if you have a Cross Canada nearby you can get new skins. Just need to know how to weld them on.

-ST

MARSTG

One other solution is to wash the car more often, like twice a month during the wintertime.

kyle_L

Just finished packing for a much needed weekend away. The fiancee and I leave for the sunshine coast for a 3 night stay on the waterfront at a Japanese b&b style place. Most looking forward watching the snow fall from the covered deck with private hot tub.

Supergrover

Just finished packing for a much needed weekend away. The fiancee and I leave for the sunshine coast for a 3 night stay on the waterfront at a Japanese b&b style place. Most looking forward watching the snow fall from the covered deck with private hot tub.
Nice enjoy!

Always loved the sunshine coast, Brother lived there for a few years before the mills all shut down and used to head up with the wife in the summer.

sswilson

Staff member
Back to my main mancave PC desk after surgery on monday. Slowly getting some of my mobility back.

sswilson

Staff member
Good to hear! I didn't realise you were having surgery. Hope the recovery goes well.
Thanks, it's nothing too serious, but I'll be on light duties for 6 weeks, and will be dealing with mobility challenges for 4ish weeks.

Worst part of the whole ordeal was getting busted for sugar levels, blood pressure, and cholesterol so it's back to eating grass and more than likely some bp meds until I can start an exercise regime.