What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Happy thread!

sswilson

Staff member
Got my Corsair LED strips in and am happy to report that they're working as advertised (no more glaring white from my Hue+ strips after sleep). One of the big differences is that ICue software has a "hardware default" option that specifies what the default lighting profile is going to be regardless of iCue loading and applying a profile. It's not perfect in that it doesn't store a brightness setting (called opacity in iCue) but it's a hell of a lot better than the Off/Glaring White I was getting from NZXT Cam.

Added bonus... I've got one less intrusive background app running 24/7.

Mr. Friendly

I think I found the Sarsparilla that I had as a kid and have sought for every since. just drank a Earp's Sarsparilla and all the memories came flooding back :D

Lysrin

Got my Corsair LED strips in and am happy to report that they're working as advertised (no more glaring white from my Hue+ strips after sleep). One of the big differences is that ICue software has a "hardware default" option that specifies what the default lighting profile is going to be regardless of iCue loading and applying a profile. It's not perfect in that it doesn't store a brightness setting (called opacity in iCue) but it's a hell of a lot better than the Off/Glaring White I was getting from NZXT Cam.

Added bonus... I've got one less intrusive background app running 24/7.

Glad it is working better, and reducing the competing s/w is certainly a good idea. I was glad when iCue recognized all my ASUS motherboard stuff so I could set all the colours in one place.

But man, I still can't give any rewards to Corsair for iCue. In my system which is just set to one uniform colour with the same colour on RAM but a wave, I'll still look over and all of a sudden a fan will have gone dark, or several will have randomly switched to some other colour or pattern. Only a full power off will fix it... at least most of the time. And I have Corsair fans and RAM so it isn't like I am mixing a lot of odd brands.

And different profiles for different users doesn't seem like a good idea. I had one set for me and a different colour scheme for my wife but iCue just seemed to keep getting confused and not resetting correctly if we switched profiles without powering off.

Oh... sorry this is supposed to be the happy thread :p

sswilson

Staff member
Glad it is working better, and reducing the competing s/w is certainly a good idea. I was glad when iCue recognized all my ASUS motherboard stuff so I could set all the colours in one place.

But man, I still can't give any rewards to Corsair for iCue. In my system which is just set to one uniform colour with the same colour on RAM but a wave, I'll still look over and all of a sudden a fan will have gone dark, or several will have randomly switched to some other colour or pattern. Only a full power off will fix it... at least most of the time. And I have Corsair fans and RAM so it isn't like I am mixing a lot of odd brands.

And different profiles for different users doesn't seem like a good idea. I had one set for me and a different colour scheme for my wife but iCue just seemed to keep getting confused and not resetting correctly if we switched profiles without powering off.

Oh... sorry this is supposed to be the happy thread :p

I'm going to have to have another look at this feature. I had a look when they first started talking about it, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Maybe I wasn't looking at it correctly.

I haven't had too many issues (recently at least) with iCue running through my commander pro. If I had any complaints it would be that MY HD and LL fans need to be on separate channels, and that adding the corsair light strips to the mix meant that I had to add in another Lighting Node Pro for the extra channel. There also doesn't appear to be a way to chain the different channels together for a full progressive effect (like you get with 3 fans on the same channel).

Overall though, while it's expensive to gather it all together, my personal experience has been pretty good managing 3 different corsair RGB products on one system, and I love the fact that the commander pro also incorporates extra USB headers into the package.

Lysrin

I'm going to have to have another look at this feature. I had a look when they first started talking about it, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Maybe I wasn't looking at it correctly.

I haven't had too many issues (recently at least) with iCue running through my commander pro. If I had any complaints it would be that MY HD and LL fans need to be on separate channels, and that adding the corsair light strips to the mix meant that I had to add in another Lighting Node Pro for the extra channel. There also doesn't appear to be a way to chain the different channels together for a full progressive effect (like you get with 3 fans on the same channel).

Overall though, while it's expensive to gather it all together, my personal experience has been pretty good managing 3 different corsair RGB products on one system, and I love the fact that the commander pro also incorporates extra USB headers into the package.

Maybe the Commander Pro is the key? I don't believe I have that. Just the single six (iirc) port unit. My 5 fans are plugged into it. GPU is plugged into a motherboard RGB header.

In terms of it recognizing my ASUS board and GPU, I didn't do anything to get that to happen. After an iCue update they just showed up under the devices section of the interface and I could then set up the lighting for them.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
In terms of it recognizing my ASUS board and GPU, I didn't do anything to get that to happen. After an iCue update they just showed up under the devices section of the interface and I could then set up the lighting for them.

I can second this. Might just need to update software (and/or firmware?)

sswilson

Staff member
I can second this. Might just need to update software (and/or firmware?)

Hrmmmm.... I'll have to have a second look at this then. Did you folks already have the aoris software installed? (Maybe I need to uninstall mine if you didn't)

FreeKnight

Just realized we're only about a week and a half out from the Ryzen 4000 release date. It's good because I desperately need an update. It's also crazy that we're still at 14nm desktop for intel and they're not even on the horizon. I can't really wait any longer, so it looks like it's AMD for me shortly.

Dwayne

Just realized we're only about a week and a half out from the Ryzen 4000 release date. It's good because I desperately need an update. It's also crazy that we're still at 14nm desktop for intel and they're not even on the horizon. I can't really wait any longer, so it looks like it's AMD for me shortly.

Don't get stuck on the marketing numbers. Der8auer did a great piece on the actual "size" of the architecture using a scanning electron microscope. The short story is that the nanometer number means next to nothing anymore, and you can't really cross compare nodes. Look at the performance, if nothing else, and go from there.

I am waiting on AMD's Zen 3 before I build my next gaming PC. I don't need a new rig, the 8700k would be fine for a while yet, I'm sure, but I have the itch. I want the best gaming performance from my CPU, and if Zen 3 finally beats out that "old" 14 nm architecture, I'll buy it. If not, then I guess an i9 10850k will be my next CPU. Overkill? Sure, but not quite 10900k overkill! And I don't feel like waiting on the next Intel iteration, even if it brings PCIe 4. From what I have seen on the reviews the differences are still minor enough.

FreeKnight

Don't get stuck on the marketing numbers. Der8auer did a great piece on the actual "size" of the architecture using a scanning electron microscope. The short story is that the nanometer number means next to nothing anymore, and you can't really cross compare nodes. Look at the performance, if nothing else, and go from there.

I am waiting on AMD's Zen 3 before I build my next gaming PC. I don't need a new rig, the 8700k would be fine for a while yet, I'm sure, but I have the itch. I want the best gaming performance from my CPU, and if Zen 3 finally beats out that "old" 14 nm architecture, I'll buy it. If not, then I guess an i9 10850k will be my next CPU. Overkill? Sure, but not quite 10900k overkill! And I don't feel like waiting on the next Intel iteration, even if it brings PCIe 4. From what I have seen on the reviews the differences are still minor enough.
I realize that 14nm today isn't 14nm yesterday, and the number isn't the most crucial aspect necessarily. They're still using a modification of an old architecture though and it's still a part of why intel has slipped so much. They've still got some clock speed advantages, but there's definitely scopes where AMD has taken the helm.

I do agree it's not as simple as AMD '7nm' > Intel '14nm(++++++++++)' though