What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Happy thread!

lowfat

Staff member
ahhh...TWS. how is their audio for music with and without ANC vs. other IEM / cans you like?
I only have 2 comparisons, a 10+ year old pair of Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10s and Drop HE-X4s. Compared to the UEs, it is a blow out. I'm not going to go back and forth to compare the exact differences to the HE-X4s but the bass is better but WAY overpowering by default. Had to drop it in the EQ asap. Mids are also not as pronounced.
Ya shouldn't use ear buds for hearing protection... google it if you want.
TBH I can't find much to support this except for liability issues, distractions, very high volume, and sudden sounds.

sswilson

Staff member
On noise cancelling earphones? They are so quiet I can hear myself swallow.

Yes, but they're not doing that by blocking the noise, they're doing it through some kind of matching frequency sorcery. If anything, I suspect noise cancelling earbuds present a higher risk as they're preventing you from hearing what the actual environment is.

lowfat

Staff member
Yes, but they're not doing that by blocking the noise, they're doing it through some kind of matching frequency sorcery. If anything, I suspect noise cancelling earbuds present a higher risk as they're preventing you from hearing what the actual environment is.
They reduce the 'noise' by playing them out of phase. So the waves cancel themselves out. From what I've read, to the ear drum, it is no different than a reduction in volume.

ipaine

They reduce the 'noise' by playing them out of phase. So the waves cancel themselves out. From what I've read, to the ear drum, it is no different than a reduction in volume.

Doesn't stop decibels from loud tools properly

The thing is you are both correct.

First you have to decide if you are talking about passive or active noise cancellation. Passive is exactly the same theory as your standard ear plugs/ear muffs, they block/reduce the soundwaves from reaching your ear drum and do this by physically blocking, no "tech" involved.

Now with active noise cancelling, lowfat is correct they identify the soundwave and then play an opposite wave that cancels it out, therefore reducing/eliminating the noise. And yes for certain things they can work just as good as traditional passive earmuffs. Things that have a constant noise level, like say jet in flight, generator, or something like that. With those, as they are constant sounds the active cancelling can do amazing and yes do provide protection.

But it is the sudden noises that ANC can't deal with, things like gunshots, hammers, etc. Because they happen quickly the tech doesn't have time to identify and create an opposing wave and therefore leave you unprotected against the noise.

TL;DR - Yes they technically provide hearing protection, but no unless actually certified they should not be used for protection.

clshades

The thing is you are both correct.

First you have to decide if you are talking about passive or active noise cancellation. Passive is exactly the same theory as your standard ear plugs/ear muffs, they block/reduce the soundwaves from reaching your ear drum and do this by physically blocking, no "tech" involved.

Now with active noise cancelling, lowfat is correct they identify the soundwave and then play an opposite wave that cancels it out, therefore reducing/eliminating the noise. And yes for certain things they can work just as good as traditional passive earmuffs. Things that have a constant noise level, like say jet in flight, generator, or something like that. With those, as they are constant sounds the active cancelling can do amazing and yes do provide protection.

But it is the sudden noises that ANC can't deal with, things like gunshots, hammers, etc. Because they happen quickly the tech doesn't have time to identify and create an opposing wave and therefore leave you unprotected against the noise.

TL;DR - Yes they technically provide hearing protection, but no unless actually certified they should not be used for protection.
thanks for clarifying.

Bond007

decide if you are talking about passive or active noise cancellation. Passive is exactly the same theory as your standard ear plugs/ear muffs, they block/reduce the soundwaves from reaching your ear drum and do this by physically blocking, no "tech" involved.

Completely agree.

Passive blocks, and active cancels. Properly cancelled sound waves are the same as it not existing. The possible issue with active is the quality...high quality active are quite good at getting freq perfect (even for some relatively short duration sounds), while lower quality/lower performing can struggle with anything but the most benign steady sounds. I don't believe any active would be able to handle loud and sudden sounds to effectively make it safe (good examples from ipaine).

Quality active noise cancelling while flying, mowing lawn, etc is a game changer.

Latest posts