What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Happy thread!

ipaine

The skies cleared up a bit for a couple hours around noon so the kids and I got to go launch the model rocket we built. We had 7 attempts and 6 good launches. The one failure I think the igniter moved while I was putting the plug in so it wasn't touching the rocket. The igniter burned but it didn't start the rocket.

Anyways, a lot of fun for the 3 of us. We used B4-4 and B6-2 rockets. I'd guess it hit about 250 feet altitude with the B4-4 and 350-400' with the B6-2. I think I'll go for something with a longer chute delay if we go up to C engines, the B6-2 drifted a long way on the chute. (The first number is the length of burn, the 2nd is the delay until the chute charge goes off.) I taught my 11 yo how to hook up the launcher to the igniters, next time he'll learn how to pack the chute.
So lucky. I remember years ago getting one of those rockets and setting it off with the kids, but it was fairly obvious I was the only one really into it.

Lysrin

Yup @Babrbarossa

You guys likely saw this but you can go to the manage profiles and turn the autoplay off for all profiles in your account for all devices.

FreeKnight

Decided to refinish my desk top, and tried Jacobean stain this time around and very happy with the results.
First pic is of the standard ikea finish with whatever canned finish they sold (Behandla IIRC). I just didn't have the time or space to improve on it when I first got the desk.

Second pic is after sanding and removing all the highs and lows, I have nearly a whole garbage bag of sawdust from sanding ;)

Third pic is with two coats of Jacobean stain and the first layer of polyurethane applied. I'll add 2-3 more coats of Poly satin and then decide on how happy I am with it.

20200213_102719.jpg20200213_095158.jpg20200213_173653.jpg

FreeKnight

Man! That looks fabulous @FreeKnight ! Well done. Huge improvement over the still nice but more generic look.
Thanks Lysrin. The grain was only barely visible before, but I really like the additional accents the Jacobean throws in. I'll eventually replace the top with a piece of oak or walnut, but that's down the road quite a bit. Plan will be to build a base that looks like an executive desk and have the sit/stand legs sit inside of it.

Izerous

Folding Team
Great results the pictures don't suggest at all that it is an Ikea top. Did you use any wood conditioner before staining?

And I was looking at walnut planks and that was coming out to $20ish per board foot. To make a top the same size would be hours of work and more than a couple hundred in planks. So results that look as good and for that cost is something to be happy about.

Latest posts