What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The in-between: windows tablet suggestions?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Even if my laptop is repaired and becomes stable, I'm still looking for a new tablet.

Why? I realized I have two android tablets yet rarely use either, because for me Android just is for a phone, Facebook, phone-esque games, etc. I want a windows based PC that go out with me, still be used for productivity and more. With touchscreen so a keyboard is unnecessary/optional.

So, I'm looking for a sub-300$ Windows based tablet.
Minimum specs:
-2x powerful cores or 4x meh cores.
-4gb ram (I know upgrades will be unlikely)
-64gb eMMC ssd (I'd really, really like bigger, but again this an area where upgradeable is unlikely)
-7'' to 12'' screen size, 1366x768, touchscreen of course (that's the whole point).
- at least one full-size usb port (or one that can easily be adapted to reg usb port, no proprietary ports)

"Like to have":
-2x-4x cord AMD APU.
-8gb ram+ or upgradable.
-120gb ssd, or any form factor that is upgradeable.
- multipoint 1080p touchscreen.
- decently light
- slimline detachable keyboard or keyboard case (more optional than a real like to have)

***I'm posting here instead of a WTB thread because discussions in those threads... Yeah nevermind. Please lemme know your suggestions and I'll add the to the original post here.***

So far some of the options that seem interesting:
- Microsoft surface 2 or newer (unsure about the tegra and 2gb of ram, seems like it'll be choked and slow)
- Dell Inspiron 11 2-in-1 (many of these seem to be intel-based, but I've seen one or two with AMD APUs, anyone have experience with these?)
- Acer switch series?

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions. 🤘

JD

Staff member
What exactly are you looking to do on this device? Unfortunately it's mostly Chinese tablets with very iffy support that will fit into that $300 price point.

I would try to bump your budget up so you can buy a Surface Go instead. They should hopefully be going on clearance soon too as it's now "last generation".

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Even used $300 is too low? Eek. I'm not exactly rolling in cash nowadays. Might be difficult to push that budget higher.

What I'm looking to do? I want laptop functionality with even more portability. Yes, I have an Alienware 13, but it's still 6-7+ pounds, and too expensive to bring around with me everywhere. That's why a 2-3pound tablet with thin/case keyboard seems a better option (or no keyboard at all). I want the windows environment just because I feel more comfortable with it, more customizable and I'm not 100% certain that everything I want to do will have an android equivalent.

I'll take a look at the surface go. See if there are any around and what specs it has. Thanks

JD

Staff member
There was a time back in the Windows 8 era where under 10" tablets with 2GB of RAM got free Windows licensing and Office, so there was a bunch of options back then. Nowadays, not so much as Windows still doesn't really work as a tablet. Plus people had a bad taste of it from before, running on slow CPUs with limited RAM.

The Lenovo Tablet 10 is going for $529 currently which seems to include the keyboard + pen. Might be a good option if you can afford it.

On the used side, it seems like maybe you could find a Surface Pro 3/4 or Go in my quick eBay search close to within budget.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
On the used side, it seems like maybe you could find a Surface Pro 3/4 or Go in my quick eBay search close to within budget.
Sounds like a decent idea. I'll keep my eyes open. Danke

I disagree about win 10 though. My Alienware has touchscreen and I have a 23 touch monitor as well, also running win 10, and I find it not bad at all. Just gotta use the text/etc slider to up the scale to 125/150% and I've had no issues with either.

it's not a tablet...but what about that 14" HP touch screen notebook for $300 in the B&S?
I'll check it out, but I feel like I'd be cheating on my Alienware if I did get a second (actually third) laptop. Once fixed, I won't wanna make it jelly. Haha

CMetaphor

Quadfather

JD

Staff member
I'm not sure if that HP fully flips around though? Either way, with your condition I don't think I'd really suggest a 2-in-1 device. They're still going to be clunky like a laptop and difficult to hold.

I think you really want a tablet/Surface type device that's more the size of a (paper) notebook. Even my Lenovo X1 Yoga isn't as nice to carry as my Surface Pro 3. And if you use the Yoga in tablet mode, even though the keyboard retracts (cheaper laptops don't even do that), it's still not pleasant to hold for any prolonged period of time.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I'm not sure if that HP fully flips around though? Either way, with your condition I don't think I'd really suggest a 2-in-1 device. They're still going to be clunky like a laptop and difficult to hold.

I think you really want a tablet/Surface type device that's more the size of a (paper) notebook. Even my Lenovo X1 Yoga isn't as nice to carry as my Surface Pro 3. And if you use the Yoga in tablet mode, even though the keyboard retracts (cheaper laptops don't even do that), it's still not pleasant to hold for any prolonged period of time.

Fair points, all around. Pretty much for sure going for a surface style. But there is some choice even amongst those. I'm seeing things about tegra compatibility issues as well, so I guess it's got to be an Intel surface or clone with an AMD.

Latest posts