What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Intel Optane SSD 900P Review - Comment Thread

EscapeClause

I call BS.

I call total 100% BS.

In the intro ("The Cost of Disruption") you compare these Optane drives to high end Samsung and Intel drives, but in the tests you compare these Optanes to low end Crucial and OCX drives.

Where are the tests comparing real high performance competition?

It's as if you posted a review of an Intel 8700K CPU, comparing it to AMD Bulldozer era APUs.

Seems calculated to make Optanes look fantastic.

Why not show non-zero-based charts as well?

Last edited:

Vittra

Here is your answer why there are no Samsung drives in HWC reviews

Excerpt:

On Samsung. They wont send me samples. As this is a hobby I refuse to pay for free advertising for mfg'ers. Thus they are not in my charts. Yes I have discussed this issue many, many times over the years with the owners of HWC. Nothing I can do about it. I am mfg'er agnostic and always give an honest opinion on any sample sent my way. I never do 'hatchet' or 'cheerleader' reviews. Some manufactures don't like taking that risk. They want only positive results. If you feel strongly about a drive missing from the charts. Drop the owners a line. Easiest way to do that is via the Editor In Chief - Skymtl.

Hope that helps.

Lysrin

And I wouldn't consider comparing to MX300s as low end but rather average or mainstream. That is the comparison I actually prefer. Sure, comparison of super high end vs super high end is interesting information, but my preference for something like the Optane is to see how much more performance I would get over the normal if I am willing to pay the premium price.

And I do believe the review elucidates the "very serious limitations" so I don't think you can say it's calculated to make the Optanes look fantastic.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
And I wouldn't consider comparing to MX300s as low end but rather average or mainstream. That is the comparison I actually prefer. Sure, comparison of super high end vs super high end is interesting information, but my preference for something like the Optane is to see how much more performance I would get over the normal if I am willing to pay the premium price.

And I do believe the review elucidates the "very serious limitations" so I don't think you can say it's calculated to make the Optanes look fantastic.

I'm unsure how an Intel 750 isnt in the same ballpark for 'super high end' either.

Feels a little like trolling for attention to me...

AkG

I try and compare and contrast a storage device against all price points. This way it shows EXACTLY what you are paying extra (or less) for. Thus YOU the reader can decide if the money is well spent or not. IE not everything is just about performance. Value plays a big part in most people's purchasing equation. This is not something anyone else should calculate for you. Sure we will give our opinion, in my case based on decades of experience, but its up to you to take the data - from multiple POVs - and make your own decision. Hard to do that if we just hype the flavor of the day.

Now I will make the exact same offer I always do when a Samsung fan 'calls me out' for not including them. Buy a new Sammy drive of your choice. I will review it, and keep the drive... and you get the review + data you want. I will even give you a thank you in the review. Still have yet to have any takers. ;)

Lysrin

I try and compare and contrast a storage device against all price points. This way it shows EXACTLY what you are paying extra (or less) for. Thus YOU the reader can decide if the money is well spent or not. IE not everything is just about performance. Value plays a big part in most people's purchasing equation. This is not something anyone else should calculate for you. Sure we will give our opinion, in my case based on decades of experience, but its up to you to take the data - from multiple POVs - and make your own decision. Hard to do that if we just hype the flavor of the day.

Now I will make the exact same offer I always do when a Samsung fan 'calls me out' for not including them. Buy a new Sammy drive of your choice. I will review it, and keep the drive... and you get the review + data you want. I will even give you a thank you in the review. Still have yet to have any takers. ;)

That is what I was saying. I appreciate that perspective in the HWC reviews. And of course the "decades of experience", that helps too :thumb:

EmptyMellon

AkG, do you know if Micron/Crucial is planning on putting out any consumer-level NVMe/PCIe drives, at least something along the lines of Kingston's K1000? Was happy with my old M4s and still running an MX200 in a laptop. I did read a while back that they did not want to compete with their customers - being a NAND manufacturer/supplier.

AkG

I can neither confirm nor deny any future road maps and timelines I may or may not be privy to.

What I can say is that Crucial has been working on a NVMe series for a while now. They actually ALMOST released one but the controller proved to be not 'good enough' (for various reasons anyone can read about on the 'net) so may or may not have 'started over'. Does this mean they stopped working on the future of solid state given the close working relationship they now have with a certain controller mfg'er... you be the judge. ;)

Latest posts