What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Kid's Computer

clshades

Well, this blew up in my face a little but shit needs done right! Started out with this. Behind this wall is the pipe works for the master bedroom shower. Used to be a rando plastic shelf storing all kinds of random crap, sick of looking at it.
20210312_130227.jpg

and evolved to this. I had to plywood the entire wall as I can't just pound screws through this wall into the water lines behind. I used the shelf rack system so it can be adjusted as the kid gets bigger. Shelf above can go up another 3 inches if I want. Extended the top past the shelf a little so things don't randomly fall off the sides.

20210314_194029.jpg20210316_165644.jpg

All the edges have veneer edging, it was my 1st time trying the iron on stuff or any veneer for that matter. The plywood is maple veneer which is bloody expensive at 70 bux a sheet. Needed 3 for this project. Due to the weird size of this wall, buying something prebuilt was never gonna work.
20210316_204707.jpg

Stained, depending on the light it's actually a bit lighter than the picture. As the room is already poorly lit. so I didn't want dark stain.

Coming soon to an 8 year old near me.

20210316_205825.jpg
May add some addressable RGB lights down the road.

Attachments

• 20210316_205825.jpg
    20210316_205825.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 5

crazyea

The only thing I might suggest is removing the left side of the upper shelf and bringing the shelves to the wall to match the desk. And maybe the right side going all the way down to the floor.

clshades

The only thing I might suggest is removing the left side of the upper shelf and bringing the shelves to the wall to match the desk. And maybe the right side going all the way down to the floor.
I wanted to man. The cuts are horrible to make and the veneer ply is very expensive right now. There's like maybe 2 sq feet of space there and with the angle it makes it nearly useless as a shelf space. The angled wall has always been dead space. Making a shelf that long along the angled bit would require thicker plywood, at least 5/8ths. That stuff is 85 bucks a sheet and I'd need 2. ended up being a hard pass for very little return. I can barely fit a printer in the angled space bit. It looks bigger than it is.

As is there's nearly 350 bux worth of material in the photo. I may put doors on to hide stuff or buy some nice storage bin things to keep it organized better. Office supplies etc.

I'm considering putting cork board up for calendars etc. Wife runs a small business on the side.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Desk looks great! On top of that.... I didn't see the boxes when I last looked at this thread... that's a mighty impressive build for an 8 yr old. :)

Latest posts