What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The "leftover" build

jalmir

I recently upgraded to 1150, so I basically have a LGA775 Core 2 Quad left laying around, only thing I bought was the motherboard (years ago for $50) and a GTX470 last week to have a complete PC...

This is going to be a gaming PC for my teenage godson. I plan on giving it to him at Christmas, my brother is going to give me a case since I don't have one.

I sleeved the PSU and added a second 6 pins PCIE connector since the 600w PSU I'm using only had one and the 470 needs 2. To do this I opened the PSU and soldered new 18awg wires to the board itself.

So here is the PC, working on my temporary "chair case", I'll get the case next month when I'll go visit my brother.

Specs;

Seanix Case (unknown model)
C2Q Q9400 @2.8Ghz
8GB DDR2 800 (4X2GB)
2x Seagate 160GB in RAID 0 (Data drive)
1X Sandisk Ultra II 120GB (OS drive)
Samsung Writemaster DVD writer (unknown model)
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
EVGA GTX 470
5̶8̶5̶W̶ ̶H̶E̶Q̶ ̶P̶S̶U replace by a CoolMax CTI-700b 700W
Windows 10 64bits

I'll update the thread when I get the case.

Last edited:

jalmir

Ok, I knew the GTX 4xx were room heaters, but I was not expecting that level of fan noise!!!

When she heard, my wife thought there was something wrong with it! lolll

Bond007

The system is aged, but it will definitely give him a playable gaming experience. Why wait until Christmas??...the parts aren't getting any younger. I say put a big bow on top and say Merry early Christmas!

Bond007

Oh...and what direction do you have the heatsink fan? Potentially it needs to go to the other side for push towards what will be the back of a case...assuming there is clearance on the other side.

Coach

The system is aged, but it will definitely give him a playable gaming experience. Why wait until Christmas??...the parts aren't getting any younger. I say put a big bow on top and say Merry early Christmas!

I agree :thumb:

jalmir

lol yeah why not, I might give it to him early. I thought of Christmas because it was his birthday last month and I already gave him a gift, I thought it would've been odd to give him a late second gift.

Finished updating Windows and installed Steam, did a few benchmarks and stress test, apart from the 470 sounding like a jet engine everything is fine!

As for the CPU fan I actually didn't even look and just threw it on there, just to be sure everything worked. When I get the case I'll fix that and make a duck to push the air out the back.

MARSTG

You should turn the fan on the heatsink to blow the hot air towards the exhaust of the case, and maybe add another fan as fresh air intake for that hot Fermi. Otherwise nice leftover build. And yes, it should be a Santa came early this year, gift!

Daedalus2002

I sleeved the PSU and added a second 6 pins PCIE connector since the 600w PSU I'm using only had one and the 470 needs 2. To do this I opened the PSU and soldered new 18awg wires to the board itself.

This sounds dangerous. What's the risk that this will cause the PSU to overload, short, explode, etc?

jalmir

This sounds dangerous. What's the risk that this will cause the PSU to overload, short, explode, etc?

Nope, it's perfectly fine if you know what you're doing, like I said, I opened the PSU and soldered NEW wires on the circuit board itself. The PSU circuit board has holes to solder wires for the different voltages. So I un-soldered some of the 12v and ground wires and added my new wires.

This PSU only has one rail, so on the circuit board there's only one "big contact" area where the 12v are (it consist of 12 holes).

I only did that after I tried to splice a second 6 pin on the existing 6 pin. so at first I was trying to get this (not my pic);

The only problem is that the PSU I'm using is a cheap HEQ and even though the wires say 18awg on them, after cutting them open they looked more like 20awg. That's why I decided to add new wires by myself, I feel safer adding those wires than using those molex to 6 pins adapter (which I have).

EDIT; in case it wasn't clear, I added new 18awg wires AND replaced the old "fake?" 18awg wires.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter