What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The "leftover" build

jalmir

It'll be fine considering it's gonna be open only a few hours a week. If it dies I'll use that as an excuse to teach my nephew a few more things about computers and I'll involve him into fixing it! :)

jalmir

I didn't remember how slow a 5400rpm HDD was until this build, both at home and at work, the PCs I work on all have SSDs!!!

Anyway, so turns out I had a pair of old 160GB 7200.12 laying around, I'll use that in RAID 0 instead of the 320GB 5400 RPM I used. I'll clone the 320GB onto the RAID 0 and use the slow as storage. I know it's not gonna be as fast as a SSD and that RAID isn't "safe" in case of a HDD failure but as the title says, it's a build from leftovers, it's for a teenage boy and will most likely be for Facebook and some low demanding games like Minecraft and CSGO.

jalmir

Had some time to kill this weekend since we had a holiday on Friday, so I made a backplate for the GTX470. Used the painting "carbon fiber" trick, though it didn't came out like I was hoping.

I'm visiting my brother in 3 weeks so I'll have the case and I'll be able to finish everything.

OF64v_b.jpg

jalmir

Finally got the case this weekend, I was supposed to get it before but last time I saw my brother, he forgot to bring the PC.

Didn't know what was in there until I opened the case yesterday, all I knew was that his old PC stopped working one day and he just replaced it with a new laptop.

I've put everything in the case yesterday and did a few tests, everything works fine. The old computer was a Seanix pre-build (don't know the model), I didn't take any pictures yet but it's the case on this picture I found on Google;
11EW.jpg

The specs were;

Seasonic 80+ 350w (forgot the model number)
MSI p965 Neo
C2D E4400
3GB DDR2 (1x1GB and 1x2GB)
Samsung Writemaster DVD-RW
AMD Radeon HD4650 (I know that was an upgrade, forgot what the PC came with)
Windows Vista 32Bits
Don't know about the HDD since he removed it and slapped it into an external case, but I think it was a 160GB WD

I updated the original post with the final specs and I'll post a picture later today or tomorrow with the case and how cramped that damn case is! I also have some stress test that I have to do to make sure there's enough air flow in that case and fix that if needed be! :thumb:

jalmir

Funny you ask, I was going to post an update! :)

I gave it to my brother during the Christmas week but it was somehow DOA. Didn't have much time to troubleshoot so I ended up leaving without having it fixed. And since we're almost 3h away from each others it stayed "dead".

I was at brother's house this weekend and I took the time to tear it down so I could pinpoint the problem. In the end, all it took was to re-seat the CPU!

So I got it running, connected it to his network, did the final setup and "parental control" setup and they started downloading games from Steam! :biggrin:

Totally forgot to take pictures of the PC installed, but that's ok, I'll probably get pictures soon and I'll probably upgrade their screen, it's an old 1280*1024 crap LCD, was thinking of grabbing a 1600*900 on Begin Street, not sure a GTX 470 would "shine" at 1080! :haha:

Latest posts