What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

the 'let's talk about unusual stuff thread.'

LaughingCrow

sswilson

Staff member
That is truly bizarre. Really demonstrates how much background processing goes on in cell phone images.

LaughingCrow

That is truly bizarre. Really demonstrates how much background processing goes on in cell phone images.
I'm part way into a book, 12 Bytes, by Jeanette Winterson (essays on AI). She points out the following in the book:

The 1st transistor radio by SONY had 6 transistors in 1957. A typical cell-phone will have over 10 billion transistors. Apollo 11 landed on the moon (1969) - a modern cellphone has more computing power than all of what NASA had back then. She goes on to ask:

"So, what are we doing with the 100,000 times faster processing power in our iPhones? Well, mainly playing games. We're smart but we're still apes. Pass the banana."

LaughingCrow

More military drones... competition is heating up. In Top Gun: Maverick, the theme was about piloted fighters being phased out by autonomous drones. I'm concerned with the push on AI and how that will be implemented with all the war tech. However, I'm happy to see the CP140 replacement coming soon. (worked for a company that built the cockpit for them)

U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) has paid over ten million dollars for a new autonomous aircraft made by Anduril, the defense startup run by Palmer Luckey, which is capable of carrying explosive warheads and taking down other aircraft, or re-landing itself if it doesn’t engage in an attack, 404 Media has found.

https://www.404media.co/anduril-roadrunner-us-special-forces-ussocom/

Last edited:

Latest posts