What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Long Road

sswilson

Staff member
On the hardware front, at HWC's launch (end of 2006) C2D rocked the processor world (the great majority of us were probably still running single core procs), 2GB DDR2 Ram was enthusiast level, folks were running 8800 series vid cards in SLI (or the AMD equivalent in Crossfire), and a 500GB mechanical drive was considered pretty damn big.

A good portion of PCs still sported discrete audio cards at the time, quality PSUs were something you had to specifically look for (and pay for), and you can be sure every single PC of the day had a CD/DVD-Rom.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
quality PSUs were something you had to specifically look for (and pay for),

I remember that part vividly. Through my early IT career I had three power supplies blow up in my face. The rule of thumb was: don't buy a PSU named after an animal. The PSUs that blew up on me were Tiger and Shark brands hahaha. Blast from the past memory 😆

Shadowarez

Folding Team
this past oct marked my 10th year holy hell where did the time go. here is to rest of my time here hopefully 40+ yrs left to go or till the end of online forums which I'm hoping isn't till long after I'm dust :ROFLMAO:

sswilson

Staff member
I remember that part vividly. Through my early IT career I had three power supplies blow up in my face. The rule of thumb was: don't buy a PSU named after an animal. The PSUs that blew up on me were Tiger and Shark brands hahaha. Blast from the past memory 😆

A quick (and completely unscientific) test for PSU quality was weight. In response, no-name brands started incorporating metal plates into their designs.

gingerbee

yup, it was all the C2D was when I got much more into building PCs again and found NCIX which led me to HWC.

when I see how people treat/talk to each other on some forums, I am very thankful to have HWC and the group of folks we have here, always hope for new blood too.

Last edited:

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
yup, it was all the C2D was when I got much more into building PCs again and found NCIX which led me to HWC.

when I see how people treat/talk to each other on some forums, I am very thankful to have HWC and the group of folks we have here, always hope for new blood too.
what who you're typing at and your tone of typing...jerk. ;)

PS - how'se the wife feeling today?

gingerbee

what who you're typing at and your tone of typing...jerk. ;)

PS - how'se the wife feeling today?
ya wanna try that one again Marzipan, ya lost me a little on that one lmao, but I got the jist of it 🤣

Also, that is super nice compared to some of the Sh1t I have read on other forums, which makes no sense to me, people will treat people like sh1t that they dont even know, it just makes no sense to me, people can't disagree with each other and yet still respect each others point of view, what happened to civility. I wouldnt talk to a stranger the way they talk to each other.

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
On the hardware front, at HWC's launch (end of 2006) C2D rocked the processor world (the great majority of us were probably still running single core procs), 2GB DDR2 Ram was enthusiast level, folks were running 8800 series vid cards in SLI (or the AMD equivalent in Crossfire), and a 500GB mechanical drive was considered pretty damn big.

A good portion of PCs still sported discrete audio cards at the time, quality PSUs were something you had to specifically look for (and pay for), and you can be sure every single PC of the day had a CD/DVD-Rom.

Yeah, when I joined I had 2 PC's, one that was older and still viable (rocking a PCI ATI Card LMFAO). It was a 939 Proc.
The other was a C2D E4500 (I think) with 4GB of RAM (Mushkin), and the dreaded but somehow better than most of the Time ULTRA PSU.

I remember driving to a store just to get a PC Power and Cooling PSU because I knew they were okay as well.

ITs amazing how time flies.

I know I'm not the oldest member here by and far. I found this place because I was having issues with something..and I was trying to find a solution.
Because of this place, I found it, and decided to stay....a while.

Seems like yesterday, it really does.
And yet, here I am and its been that long.

-ST

Latest posts