What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Longevity of PC Hardware, and The Ethos of Upgrading

Shadowmeph

hehe I am the same I still have my old i5 2500k watercooled with custom loop 16gb ram rx480 card and last year or maybe the year before I bought a board and 16gb DDR3 ram 4690 k and dropped my rx480 and using a NVme drive + a 2tB hybred drive for games it works good enough for me for now, I mean my Vid card when I bought it new was almost 500CAD for me thats allot of money .
I too and thinking about upgrading again but that would mean that everything would have to be upgraded accept for the hd was looking at the B\S thread but like you to upgrade to get a little better performance isnt that important for me yet there isnt any new games out that I am that interested in but again if I did it would cost me way to much because I defiantly would have to buy another video card on top of it and also probably More ram which is Now DDR 4

great_big_abyss

The opposite mentality struck me a couple of years ago. Elitism, so to speak.

So my stepson's rig has some pretty old parts. They're mostly my cast-off's, with a few exceptions. For a long, long time he was running a PowerColor HD7950 3GB video card, along with his M5A97 and FX8370 'Piledriver' CPU. Then his GPU bit the dust. Not surprising, it was old, had been used as a mining card by my brother, who then gave it to us for free when the bottom fell out of GPU mining. It just stopped working. So he used some birthday money and bought a new card. I helped him buy it and install it, an AMD RX570 4GB. I came on this forum for advice on which card to buy, best for the budget, all that, and I had more than a few people tell me that installing a video card in as old a system as his would be a waste of money, that the 8370 would be a huge bottleneck, and it just wouldn't work, best to spend money on an entire system upgrade, too. Maybe Ryzen. I mean, honestly, Dropping $500 - $600 on a new motherboard, RAM and CPU just wasn't an option, not when spending $200 on a GPU would get him back up an gaming.

As it turns out, and as I suspected, it's fine. I haven't measured framerates or benchmarked anything, but his system plays all the games he wants it to, and he's happy. Really, that's enough. It's not like the RX570 is some super high end gaming card that's going to be severely bottlenecked. It's a lower end GPU.

EmiliaHadson

Building a computer is very cool at first , but it's a gambling hobby, because you always want to change something in it , improve something, and it takes a lot of money.:coffee:

geokilla

I skimmed through the posts and I personally believe it's worthwhile upgrading from a Core i5 3570K to a current gen Intel Core i5 10600K or AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, provided you can get a GPU and the 5600X at MSRP or close to it. I've been contemplating upgrading myself, despite mainly playing SC2 and CS:GO, and watching video game benchmarks comparing Ivy Bridge to modern set ups, it's quite obvious that by upgrading to the current gen CPUs, my FPS performance will increase by at least 50%, depending on the game. For some modern AAA titles, that's the difference between unplayable and playable.

As much as I want to play Cyberpunk 2077 for example, there's no way in hell my computer will be able to run it unless I turn down the graphics setting. So for now, I'm just going to have to play through my Steam library of games that I got when their cheap. Bioshock Remastered, Crysis, Dead Island. Yeah these games are old, but if I haven't played them, they're new to me.

The benchmark in question

Also want to say it's amazing how competitive the Core i5 10600K is despite it being 14nm++. It really shows how good the Skylake architecture is. If I was to build today, I think I'd rather get the Core i5 10600K simply because I don't have to play this stock game with AMD, and don't have to play above MSRP.

draemn

I always try to tell people that the only form of future proofing is to buy reasonably priced PC hardware that will get the job done now and taking those savings to constantly upgrade.

GregoireA

Are you saying that you are not willing to spend 1800$ a a new graphics card? That's what all the cool kids do now.

The last 10 years have been pretty slow for the advancement of performance so I completely agree with running the same mobo/CPU for 5 years. The only issue I have run into is some older architectures being completely unable to process 4k content. I recently sold a 2500k/ 780GTX system for that reason.

Now that I am an adult(well, that's what my age is supposed to be) I have the funds to always stay on the bleeding edge of performance but I'm starting to back away because the last couple generations really show that waiting a year or two can save you a big headache(20 series).
I typically wait a year after a game comes out before I buy it, so why not always stay a year or two behind in tech too?

draemn

Are you saying that you are not willing to spend 1800$ a a new graphics card? That's what all the cool kids do now.

The last 10 years have been pretty slow for the advancement of performance so I completely agree with running the same mobo/CPU for 5 years. The only issue I have run into is some older architectures being completely unable to process 4k content. I recently sold a 2500k/ 780GTX system for that reason.

Now that I am an adult(well, that's what my age is supposed to be) I have the funds to always stay on the bleeding edge of performance but I'm starting to back away because the last couple generations really show that waiting a year or two can save you a big headache(20 series).
I typically wait a year after a game comes out before I buy it, so why not always stay a year or two behind in tech too?
It's never paid off to be early adopters of new technology and "RTX" on the 20 series was no different. You're a paying tester to get tech ready for mass market.

great_big_abyss

Cyberpunk 2077 aside (I'm not really interested in the game anyway, so that's okay), there are still some modern triple A titles that my rig is capable of playing just fine now, as long as you leave it at 1080P. I'm currently playing RDR2 at 1080P Ultra settings, and getting about 45-50fps. Those framerates are just fine and perfectly playable, and the game looks beautiful to boot.

We'll see how VR goes. Just a week to go until I can finally start using my Quest 2 and start playing around with PCVR.

With a 9 year old CPU platform, next year will probably be time to upgrade, but probably to a used system. I'm thinking 2nd gen Ryzen or 9/10th gen Intel. I'll probably go high end for the generation again, to provide some longevity.

GregoireA

For sure. Personally I can never go back to 1080 or 1440.

VR is weird though; some titles requires bleeding edge, while developers who have put time into VR development have made titles that can play on potatoes(HLA).
Personally I'm still running a 7600k with at 1080ti and at 4k60 and I have not run into any issues in the last 2 years.
with OC it sucks back the Watts but nothing a couple of AIOs can't handle.