What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

the new build: Zulu in Trouble!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Gigabyte X58-UD5 (F7 bios)
4x2gig OCZ 1600mhz 7-7-7
D0 i7 920.

after 10 min of no posting, fiddling around with ram slots, I stripped it down barebones with 1 stick of ram, and finally saw a bios. Yay :blarg:

Now, after playing with ram auto settings, manual settings, underclocking, feeding it voltage, etc, I still can not get windows to load, even with the 1 stick.

Ive tried combinations of:

1.5-1.64v
7-7-7 or 8-8-8
800mhz-1600mhz

She wont go. And no matter what settings I chose, I most definitely cannot get 3 sticks to work.

Recommendations? I would love to try some other ram, but I dont have any DDR3 lying around :sad:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Either blown ram slots, or bad ram.

Get into the BIOS, set the settings to Auto everywhere except the ram voltage: 1.6V.

Then run Memtest86+, one stick at a time.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
after much tom-foolery, either the ram3 slot is dead, or this board doesnt like 3 sticks.

Either way, it wont post with a stick in the 3rd slot.

Should I buy new ram that may not fix the problem, or a new mobo? :blarg:

Arinoth

Staff member
Well if you finally had that home in oshawa i could lend my mobo (aka you come over) to at least do a full memtest86 on your triple channel to see if they themselves are working properly, i would be hesitant to let you test my own ram in your mobo in fear of it may cook mine.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Its not cooking ram. I just swapped the ram in channel 1 three times and ran it. Worked fine for all three sticks.

Its just an compatability issue between the ram/mobo, or the mobo (slot 3) is dead. I guess the easy switch is to swap the mobo. Sigh. I just bought this board from someone here, and it was fresh from RMA.

martin_metal_88

You can ask the OCZ guys about the setting to put, it`s a common issue that there memory is to agressive subtiming and prevent boot and post but this is not really plausible cauz your pc boot with 1 stick. BTW ask them maybe it can help. After talking with OCZ wich will give you the perfect setting if not working...ask gigy a new RMA :(

Ask for more

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Its not cooking ram. I just swapped the ram in channel 1 three times and ran it. Worked fine for all three sticks.

Its just an compatability issue between the ram/mobo, or the mobo (slot 3) is dead. I guess the easy switch is to swap the mobo. Sigh. I just bought this board from someone here, and it was fresh from RMA.
If the slot is dead, time to RMA. Though there are some known incompatibilities between board and ram (I found one between the UD3R and some Patriot sticks) - as Martin said, try to find out more on the OCZ forums.

Have you tried loading the BIOS optimized settings? This may change some of the ram sub-timings. Worth a shot.

Flasker

Rookie
I guessing those sticks are high voltage DDR3 sticks, probably OCZ3P16004GK?
rated for DDR3-1600 @ 1.8 - 1.9V
That will be the problem, I would not expect those sticks to run at rated timings or speed in i7
There's likely nothing wrong with the mobo.

If you just purchased the memory see if you can return them for a low voltage triple kit.

If you want to try using them or have to, try this

Load Optimized Defaults, reboot and set,

MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)
Performance Enhance: Standard
System Memory Multiplier: 10
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
CAS: 8
TRCD: 8
TRP: 8
TRAS: 24
Command Rate(CMD): 2T (try 1T later)

QPI/VTT Voltage: 1.325V - 1.375V
DRAM Voltage: 1.65V

Dazmode

Are you using white slots on mobo? Mine (extreme) would't even start with ram i n blue slots...

Latest posts