What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Official Food Thread

Prickly007

Thanks, not bad for a first attempt I thought. Haven't done another one, mainly due to the cost. Prime brisket from American Costco is ~3 USD per pound. Then again, I like big butts and I cannot lie... have ~18 lbs to smoke sometime this week.

lowfat

Staff member
Made some smokerless smoked ribs the other night. Coated ribs in molasses and liquid smoke. Sous vide for 12 hours @ 72C. Cooled for 12 hours. Then finished in the oven. Turned out pretty awesome. Only thing I'd change for next time is to pre-sear w/ a torch. Hopefully should retain more moisture.

Cypher^64

Anyone that cook Sous Vide, what torch are you using?

Sometimes I don't feel like getting the Keg ripping hot and getting smokey, so a torch would be handy for those times.

FreeKnight

Anyone that cook Sous Vide, what torch are you using?

Sometimes I don't feel like getting the Keg ripping hot and getting smokey, so a torch would be handy for those times.

Torch takes forever to brown something. IMO it just isn't worth the time.

With a really strong torch head like the TS8000 it works a lot better than with just a standard torch head. I've also got a searzall and it diffuses the heat over a wider area but takes a long time.

Personally my best results are with the side sear on my Napoleon Pro 500, but that's an expensive option, for most people I'd pop your broiler on high and throw it in a broiler safe pan. With your rack on the medium or higher lever it'll only take a minute for a good sear (just make sure you watch it otherwise it'll go well beyond 'seared'....).

An oven set to 550°F will do the same thing, with a little more even and thorough browning, but by the time most ovens have heated that high you could have torch seared an entire bovine....

FreeKnight

With everything, or just meat?

Seems like it slows everything down, creme brulee, meat, etc.

I usually pre-heat it until the mesh has a nice glow, but it certainly hasn't dazzled me. I'll give it a few more gos this summer now that it's nice out and I can do it outside without smoking up the condo.

Latest posts