What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Official Food Thread

Prickly007

Up here sure, other parts of the continent not a %$*%*^ chance. ;)

When I first moved to Texas, at some point, I mentioned our BBQ. Locals were dumbfounded, they could not believe I was running a pit/smoker in Vancouver. Questions were asked about sourcing wood, which left me very, very confused. That semester classmates and I went out for dinner before class, the difference between grilling and BBQ was illustrated by a variety of restaurants over the ensuing weeks.

FreeKnight

well...charcoal grills are what made it go mainstream :p

edit - also, since when is charcoal not wood? LoL!
In fairness, charcoal doesn't have to come from wood, that's just the most common source. You can get charcoal from petroleum byproducts, coconut shells, even leftover stalks from wheat or grain.
Probably better to think of it as a finished product like glass or steel. Sure usually it's sand or iron as the base, but not necessarily depending on production and type.

As for the grilling vs bbq vs smoking and fuel source, it's highly regional and variable. It's not like Barbeque of the American south is the original style, just the most well known to us. I don't know enough about Spanish barbacoa or Portuguese to comment on their standards though. Like most cooking things, it's a hot mess of 'ifs, ands or buts'.

Last edited:

Prickly007

In between barbacoa and modern BBQ is the plantation/Antebellum era, when slaves were the pit masters and the food was cooked in shallow trenches.

Latest posts