What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Outer Worlds - Fallout In Space

Lysrin

Read Ars review (here) and it sounds good. Not perfect, but deep story, lots of good voice-acted dialog, open world where you actually do what you want for the most part, etc. Ticks a lot of boxes for me. Combat and variation in enemies is apparently lacking, in their opinion. Question is how do I find time for this and RDR2 ?!?! :p

I'll likely wait and see what Mack from WAB has to say in his reviews for both.

Lysrin

Anyone playing today? Lots of positive reviews now. Curious how the "real people" are liking it ;)

Lysrin

Ah I caved... :) Shiny new games... Still a weakness. But new games not on sale are pricey! Whew...

JD

Staff member
Not a huge fan of the combat feel but I spent the last 2 hours just roaming around and looting places rather than going to the town as the objective says. I died a fair bit though, but I probably should have focused on going to the town to proceed along the storyline and get my crew, abilities, etc. Interesting environment though, kind of that retro feel yet in space.

Lysrin

I find the look of the game just a little too over-saturated for my taste. But that is a small complaint. Also had to mess with the FOV a lot until I found something that looked right to me. But at least they give an FOV slider in the settings!

I went the route of following the tutorial/story prompts with only a little exploration outside the town. After having explored the town and talked with a lot of NPCs I've found the story to be intriguing and I like the variety of dialog options. There have already been several cases where the choices have been hard because two or more sides of the story made me want to side with them. That's good RPG writing I think. There's some decent humour in the conversations too. Did you get into the guy's ship? I like the ADA computer :)

I just got my first companion so haven't done any combat with them involved yet.

I do like it so far. Not sure it should have been a full price purchase for me, but I am enjoying it and don't regret it (thankfully).

One odd thing, I can't get it to let me select 3440x1440 in fullscreen mode; only offers that in windowed fullscreen. You have that issue @JD ? First time I've seen that oddity in a game. Windowed fullscreen plays OK but I still usually like to get fullscreen because windowed used to have a performance hit in the old days. Maybe that isn't an issue now but old habits die hard!

JD

Staff member
Yeah I have the same issue with the fullscreen mode, I think because the cut scenes and stuff aren't ultrawide compatible. Seems like just a poor implementation though and maybe it'll be patched down the road.

Performance is a bit iffy running Ultra though, even with my 2080 Ti. Like you, I'm not a fan of windowed mode since I feel there's always a performance loss.

I did get to ADA (reminds me of Portal) and board the ship, I'm not too certain on the dialog changing the story though, I died behind the ship (bunch of monster things there) a few times, so the save was on the ship. Both the options I picked when that lady confronts you ended up telling me to go speak to her boss in the town.

I'll agree the visuals are a bit hard to get into.

Lysrin

Yeah I have the same issue with the fullscreen mode, I think because the cut scenes and stuff aren't ultrawide compatible. Seems like just a poor implementation though and maybe it'll be patched down the road.

Performance is a bit iffy running Ultra though, even with my 2080 Ti. Like you, I'm not a fan of windowed mode since I feel there's always a performance loss.

I did get to ADA (reminds me of Portal) and board the ship, I'm not too certain on the dialog changing the story though, I died behind the ship (bunch of monster things there) a few times, so the save was on the ship. Both the options I picked when that lady confronts you ended up telling me to go speak to her boss in the town.

I'll agree the visuals are a bit hard to get into.

Good to know it isn't just my setup then.

The dialog options might be limited in the ADA interaction. After all you have to get the ship as that is how you travel between planets in the game. The dialog I found interesting so far is in the town. Someone telling you to do one thing, and then you getting intercepted by someone telling you to do it slightly differently or not at all, and both sides of the argument are intriguing!

I like it so far Bartacus! :)

Latest posts