What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Plex Beast

clshades

Here we go... :thumb:

hIWrrQH.jpg

Caldezar

This appears to be massive overkill for a Plex server... what am I missing? Are you running several 4k streams simultaneously? If so, wow! Even still, the i9 seems a pretty high need. (Although, overkill is the MO for most people on HWC.) I'm curious about the choice of drives. 2x 970 EVO's in raid? But then, what's the 1TB 860 for?

MARSTG

Yes the Quadro will be for running a few concurrent 4k streams. Nvme drives for raid 0, 860evo for storage.

clshades

Sorry I've been slammed at work (my full time job) and getting this server installed, running, and on location (side work). I did a 6 (simultaneous) stream test, two of which were decoding HEVC to lesser TVs. I'll edit this post in a second with the picture of performance.

All streams were perfectly smooth.

xSaIklQ.jpg

Last edited:

clshades

Yes the Quadro will be for running a few concurrent 4k streams. Nvme drives for raid 0, 860evo for storage.

Quadro is for handbrake and possibly running the next gen projector. We are still working out the details as I have to use cat5 HDMI adapters. If we discover we don't need the Quadro we'll re-purpose it.

From all my reading (various forums) the Quadro allows more streams than regular vid cards. I didn't want to take any chances. Also the i9 and Quadro support QVS and hardware support in Plex.

Last edited:

Latest posts